Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey ,
    could someone show me how to do this question i tried it but i don't understand what more i could write .
    I wrote about the primary and secondary alcohols and the oxidation reaction of them and named the apparatus used ; with simple description of what would happen in reflux and distillation .

What am i meant to specifically write to get full marks?

7* You are provided with three alcohols that are structural isomers: CH3CH2CH2CH2OH, CH3CH2CHOHCH3 and (CH3)3COH. You do not know which is which.

You have access to normal laboratory apparatus and chemicals, Quickfit apparatus, and an infrared spectrometer.

Describe a plan that would allow you to identify the three alcohols using the same experimental set up and method.

You should provide • equations using structural formulae for any reactions • a description of how you will identify the three alcohols from any observations and results.
    6 marks

i would appreciate it so much if somone could help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sadilla)
    Hey ,
    could someone show me how to do this question i tried it but i don't understand what more i could write .
    I wrote about the primary and secondary alcohols and the oxidation reaction of them and named the apparatus used ; with simple description of what would happen in reflux and distillation .

What am i meant to specifically write to get full marks?

7* You are provided with three alcohols that are structural isomers: CH3CH2CH2CH2OH, CH3CH2CHOHCH3 and (CH3)3COH. You do not know which is which.

You have access to normal laboratory apparatus and chemicals, Quickfit apparatus, and an infrared spectrometer.

Describe a plan that would allow you to identify the three alcohols using the same experimental set up and method.

You should provide • equations using structural formulae for any reactions • a description of how you will identify the three alcohols from any observations and results.
    6 marks

i would appreciate it so much if somone could help me
    The question could be summed up as 'devise a way to distinguish between a primary, secondary and tertiary alcohol'.
    What would happen if you set up the apparatus to oxidise each alcohol? What products would you get from each? Could you tell these products apart using IR spectroscopy?
    What apparatus, reagents and conditions would you use for the oxidation?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.