Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I speak about my own political views in my PAIS personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've talked about my interests in politics/international relations and I've mentioned political theories, as well as identifying myself as a follower of egalitarianism - do you think this would put off the applications peeps?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find it hard to believe any 17 or 18 year old would have fully fleshed out political beliefs. I am also applying for politics and I hold some views. But I believe dogmatism is lethal and I know I am still politically naive, therefore I didn't put my views in.

Despite my objections, I'm sure uni's would like it. It shows you have a vested interest and genuine care in the subject. They would not discriminate, 17/18 is extremely young for politics, they know your views will change somewhat.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    I've talked about my interests in politics/international relations and I've mentioned political theories, as well as identifying myself as a follower of egalitarianism - do you think this would put off the applications peeps?
    You want to hit a balance with having an opinion, and being a fortress of opinion.

I would hesitate to simply say I follow this ideology but I don't see the problem in saying you're interested in particular ideologies.

And try to make an explicit link to the course you're studying too, if your personal political beliefs are not explicitly relevant to the study of politics and IR then be careful about how you use them in your PS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.