Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting university next year and wondering if I have enough to. I only have £5000 in savings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedesco)
    I'm starting university next year and wondering if I have enough to. I only have £5000 in savings
    Did you make this thread just to brag?

jk.

5k should be plenty. You only need a few hundred pounds to tide you through the fresher's week as the maintenance loan generally comes through a few days after.

To answer your question, I had slightly less than you when I started.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl, £5.26.

I'm hopefully starting uni in 2019 so I guess I have time + "only" 5k worth of savings is a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Did you make this thread just to brag?

jk.

5k should be plenty. You only need a few hundred pounds to tide you through the fresher's week as the maintenance loan generally comes through a few days after.
    I'm not eligible for the maintenance loan and one of my parents won't contribute. Hence it's 'only 5k'

ReputationRep:
    £17,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedesco)
    I'm not eligible for the maintenance loan and one of my parents won't contribute. Hence it's 'only 5k'
    Ah I see. Sorry for assuming!

5k should be enough for maybe the first semester? Your accommodation deposit will probably be about 300 pounds, then you need to pay your first term's rent, travel up to uni, clothes, food, entertainment etc.

You should definitely be looking at getting a job, though.

ReputationRep:
    I walk into London and literally £15 goes out my pocket randomly
    tbh idek, I'd like to say I'm skint atm

ReputationRep:
    I think £2 ☺

ReputationRep:
    £20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faloodeh)
    I think £2 ☺
    Around this. Whatever the interest was on my ISA is whatever's left in there at the minute. Been living on credit all year, ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Im starting uni next year too and my current balance is £0.18
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    ngl I'm so broke I owe myself money atm

My savings are about -£100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahraahmedish)
    Im starting uni next year too and my current balance is £0.18
    Are you eligible for student maintenance though?

ReputationRep:
    Whether it's enough depends on:

what your living expenses are? Which is largely determined by your city and accommodation prices

What your life style is like, do you have expensive hobbies/habits? Or are you a budget-er?

And what income/ financial help do you or will you get on top of your 5k savings? You said you're not entitled to maintenance money, and one of your parents won't contribute. What about the other parent? How much will they be contributing? Will you be getting a part time job? etc.

Without all of that information it's literally impossible for us to determine if you have enough.

ReputationRep:
    Tbqh... I have 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 m's in my bank account.

Who am I kidding? I have £0.86 in my bank account. So having 5k, you're already at an advantage

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.