Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for politics and international relations and was wondering If I could use abbreviations such as 'IR' for International relations and 'BRIC'S' instead of newly emerging economies? (Trying to reduce my word count!)

ReputationRep:
    Write "international relations (IR)" the first time then refer to it as "IR" after that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenalk)
    I'm applying for politics and international relations and was wondering If I could use abbreviations such as 'IR' for International relations and 'BRIC'S' instead of newly emerging economies? (Trying to reduce my word count!)
    Try harder to avoid repetition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Try harder to avoid repetition.
    of the use of IR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Write "international relations (IR)" the first time then refer to it as "IR" after that.
    I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thank you

ReputationRep:
    of the use of IR?
    To keep re-using a long and clumsy noun, so clumsy it needs an abbreviation, is not a good idea, as a read through (aloud) of your PS will reveal to you.

ReputationRep:
    To keep re-using a long and clumsy noun, so clumsy it needs an abbreviation, is not a good idea, as a read through (aloud) of your PS will reveal to you.
    I've only mentioned it 3 times... It's just the fact that it takes up so many characters, and I'm already above the character limit by 200 so was wondering if it was acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I've only mentioned it 3 times
    Well, that is two too many.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that is two too many.
    not like it's the course name or anything :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Abbreviations are fine if they make sense and are generally known. If it's course specific you can possibly get away with it but in general it's advisable to always write things in full the first time.

A better question is how does your personal statement benefit from using these statements in the first place? It may or may not be necessary to write International Relations at all in an application for Politics and International Relations. Anything you say should be clear from the context and the fact that you're applying to the course in the first place. For example, I'd never say things like "I like Maths", "I've been doing Maths for X years", "my favourite thing in Maths is Y because", etc. when applying for a Maths course because the fact you like it is obvious, the fact I've been doing it for X years is obvious from my previous grades and the favourite thing can be streamlined by saying I particularly enjoy Y because. Generally the name of the subject shouldn't need to appear in your personal statement as you're probably providing redundant information or the context of the application makes it obvious.

As far as specific terminology goes, be sure the terminology is widely known and accepted, not something that's exceptionally specific to your school or college. Don not use the acronym or abbreviation if it adds any confusion but do use it if it is industry standard and if better still if it's not something you'd be expected to know about yet. So for BRIC vs newly emerging economies, as an outsider they appear to have slightly different meanings so use whichever is more appropriate. If BRIC is industry standard then great. You shouldn't need to use it multiple times though, summarise all your points into a single section where possible and only reference it a second time if absolutely necessary.

A better way to reduce your word count is to simply remove superfluous words. Quite often students will write long, over exagerated words when a smaller, shorter word will do the same thing. Likewise it's easy to use lots of small words that bump up your word count. And in many cases they simply waste words on things that don't matter or aren't worth writing about. Use this as an exercise in good writing. A well written and succinct personal statement will get all the information across without getting close to the word count

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.