Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dropping out of Uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am currently doing a BSc in Computer Science and I'm in my second year, having already passed first year (with an average of over 70% so a good pass).

I thought my first year was utterly pointless. I learnt nothing, I never found anything challenging and I was extremely bored but I muddled through as I figured second year would be better.

I'm now in second year and finding much the same, I feel equally bored, I don't find anything challenging, I'm not learning anything and I am pretty miserable.

Because of this, I am actively considering dropping out and trying to pursue an apprenticeship in something like Software Engineering (I see Vodafone offer these and I have worked for them before), which can actually lead to a degree. I also get paid and no student debt.

This to me seems like a no brainer but I'm wondering if anyone has done a similar thing and if you have, if you think it was the right decision?

I'm having quite a lot of personal and accommodation issues which have made my decision to drop out that much more likely but if this is going to make my future a lot worse (i.e. earning potential, career prospects, etc.), I'd rather not do it.

Would appreciate any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Makes more sense to do it the other way around - try to get the apprenticeship then drop out if you're successful. Otherwise you might drop out and not get the apprenticeship and be left with nothing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.