The Student Room Group

Am I supposed to have paragraphs for personal statement?

I have my personal statement In paragraphs on Microsoft words, but when pasting it in UCAS, it all shoves up into one big paragraph.
So, I put in the spaces, but I've had mixed responses from people saying it should be all together, and there shouldn't be any gaps?
I'm so confused??
+ I've only used 39/47 lines...is this a good amount or should I add more onto it?
thanks
Original post by Lia22
I have my personal statement In paragraphs on Microsoft words, but when pasting it in UCAS, it all shoves up into one big paragraph.
So, I put in the spaces, but I've had mixed responses from people saying it should be all together, and there shouldn't be any gaps?
I'm so confused??
+ I've only used 39/47 lines...is this a good amount or should I add more onto it?
thanks

In general I would say there is no 'right' as to whether you should use paragraphs but personally if there was space I would use paragraphs. It isn't make or break.

With regards to the amount of lines you have used, a personal statement is, as it says it is, 'personal' therefore again it doesn't matter- as long as you think it covers all your strengths!!
You should, but only use like 3 paragraphs. Just use it when talking about different things such as how your chosen courses relate to the subject your applying for, work/extra curricular activities etc. So that your ps is a bit easier to read and get around.
The way UCAS reformats it on the website is exactly how it should so is completely fine!

As for you the no. of lines you've written, you should really write more. Every other applicant will have given the admissions tutor more reasons to pick them over you with the limited no. of offers they are able to make available. That 47 line word limit and the character limit should really be utilised as 8 lines that really pack a punch can really make the difference. If you really can't talk about anything more you have done then add more onto: What skills you have gained from things you have done, what it made you do as a result of that and how is that gonna make you a greater learner at their prestigious institution.
Original post by S.H.Rahman
The way UCAS reformats it on the website is exactly how it should so is completely fine!

As for you the no. of lines you've written, you should really write more. Every other applicant will have given the admissions tutor more reasons to pick them over you with the limited no. of offers they are able to make available. That 47 line word limit and the character limit should really be utilised as 8 lines that really pack a punch can really make the difference. If you really can't talk about anything more you have done then add more onto: What skills you have gained from things you have done, what it made you do as a result of that and how is that gonna make you a greater learner at their prestigious institution.

Blank lines between paragraphs are recommended.

With paragraphs added in the OP is going to be close to the line limit.

Short and to the point is much better than crammed full of waffle. It’s much more likely that something important will be missed in a PS that’s crammed in. 3,200-3,600 characters with good editing and paragraphs is better than something that hasn’t been properly edited to use the space available well.

No content in a PS is likely to make any difference to an applicants chance of an offer (except for vocational courses like health/education).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending