Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello SFE,

I am a student currently in my third year (out of six) of my BSc Hons with the Open University.

As all of my studying, tutorials etc. with the Open University is distance learning, I would like to know if it would be possible to continue my studies after year 3 (Years 4, 5 and 6) whilst abroad in Canada. The reason for this is due to me potentially going to Canada for up to 24 months on an International Experience Canada visa where I can live and work for up to 24 months as a youth (travel and experience) at some point mid-late 2018 (this is not confirmed, only an idea).

I have read the terms and conditions for the 2017/2018 year on the gov.uk website and the only information I can find relating to this states that to be eligible for an undergraduate loan I must be present in the UK at the time of, and have lived in the UK for the last 3 years prior to, the first day of the first academic year. It does not mention anything about needing to be present on the first day of any of the following years after.

I am currently in Canada at the moment on a 6 month visitor visa (but will be returning to the UK before the 6 month mark and will not have stayed 6 months) and have been here since the beginning of June. My OU course started 17th October which means I was here when the course started and I am doing all my studies online without any issue and about to complete my first assignment. Prior to this, I internationally called both the OU, SLC and SFE and all told me I would be ok. SFE said to me on the phone as long as the OU confirm my attendance, which they do automatically 2 weeks after the course starts as it's distance learning, then my loan would be paid and because I am continuing and not starting a new course me being abroad for the start wouldn't be an issue.

So to reiterate my question which was buried in text, I would like to know if it would be possible to continue my studies after year 3 (Years 4, 5 and 6) whilst abroad in Canada. If not and I were to pause my course (as the OU offer the ability to suspend and then resume as long as the course is completed within 16 years) for two years and then resume when I came back, would I be eligible for funding again as I would have lived and worked outside of the UK for 2 years?

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishTeaCup)
    Hello SFE,

I am a student currently in my third year (out of six) of my BSc Hons with the Open University.

As all of my studying, tutorials etc. with the Open University is distance learning, I would like to know if it would be possible to continue my studies after year 3 (Years 4, 5 and 6) whilst abroad in Canada. The reason for this is due to me potentially going to Canada for up to 24 months on an International Experience Canada visa where I can live and work for up to 24 months as a youth (travel and experience) at some point mid-late 2018 (this is not confirmed, only an idea).

I have read the terms and conditions for the 2017/2018 year on the gov.uk website and the only information I can find relating to this states that to be eligible for an undergraduate loan I must be present in the UK at the time of, and have lived in the UK for the last 3 years prior to, the first day of the first academic year. It does not mention anything about needing to be present on the first day of any of the following years after.

I am currently in Canada at the moment on a 6 month visitor visa (but will be returning to the UK before the 6 month mark and will not have stayed 6 months) and have been here since the beginning of June. My OU course started 17th October which means I was here when the course started and I am doing all my studies online without any issue and about to complete my first assignment. Prior to this, I internationally called both the OU, SLC and SFE and all told me I would be ok. SFE said to me on the phone as long as the OU confirm my attendance, which they do automatically 2 weeks after the course starts as it's distance learning, then my loan would be paid and because I am continuing and not starting a new course me being abroad for the start wouldn't be an issue.

So to reiterate my question which was buried in text, I would like to know if it would be possible to continue my studies after year 3 (Years 4, 5 and 6) whilst abroad in Canada. If not and I were to pause my course (as the OU offer the ability to suspend and then resume as long as the course is completed within 16 years) for two years and then resume when I came back, would I be eligible for funding again as I would have lived and worked outside of the UK for 2 years?

Thanks.
    Hi EnglishTeaCup,

You wouldn't be able to study distance learning for years 4,5 & 6 while living in Canada.

You would need to be in the UK. You could take time off after year 3 and once you come back from Canada reapply. We would expect to see evidence that your stay in Canada was temporary (your VISA should be sufficient for this).

Warm regards,

Shaun.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your quick reply. Please can you elaborate on providing evidence that my stay was temporary? Does this mean that providing the temporary working holiday visa I was on is enough to prove I’m back in the U.K. at my permanent (and only) address to live, study and work once again or will further evidence be applied? Would I still be eligible to receive funding to continue my course when providing this as I wouldn’t have lived or worked in the U.K. for two full (temporary) years?

Also, with me being abroad at the moment until next week since the beginning of June and thus being abroad for the start of my third year is everything ok in regards to that? As I called several times and all advisors told me it wouldn’t be an issue as I’m only here as a tourist and not living or working here and will be back home in the U.K. for the rest of the academic year.

Thanks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

In regards to the evidence for your temporary stay - a temporary working or holiday visa should be sufficient, this would be looked at by our assessors who would approve this or ask for more evidence if this is required. If the stay is deemed as temporary then yes you would still be eligible for funding.

Your trip abroad at the moment should not be included as a period outwith the UK as it would be classed as a holiday.
    You don't have to worry about including this within any future applications unless the period is extended.

Thanks,

Gerard

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your response. That has cleared up some confusion for me.

-ETC
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.