Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, applying for undergraduate here.

Do i need to mention maths and further maths modules on UCAS or not? I am receiving conflicting answers elsewhere in the school.

ReputationRep:
    If you have been awarded an AS in Maths and Further Maths, then you are legally obliged to put your individual grades for each module in your application. If you haven't then you don't need to, but you still can put down your module scores if they are particularly good and you believe it will help you.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You don't. It is completely optional, the last two people have no idea what they're saying.

And even if you do put it in, I'm not sure how closely unis even look at it. I was sent a form to fill in to say my AS module grades by one university which is literally on UCAS and another I had to fill in a form to say my marks and UMS. Don't overthink it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    You don't. It is completely optional, the last two people have no idea what they're saying.

And even if you do put it in, I'm not sure how closely unis even look at it. I was sent a form to fill in to say my AS module grades by one university which is literally on UCAS and another I had to fill in a form to say my marks and UMS. Don't overthink it.
    Well alrighty then. I clearly know nothing, it's not that I'm a Maths and Further Maths student myself.

You ARE legally obliged to put any qualifications you have so far achieved. That is what you agree to doing when you send off your application. Therefore, if you have achieved a variety of grades in modules which award you an AS, you DO have to put it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    Well alrighty then. I clearly know nothing, it's not that I'm a Maths and Further Maths student myself.

You ARE legally obliged to put any qualifications you have so far achieved. That is what you agree to doing when you send off your application. Therefore, if you have achieved a variety of grades in modules which award you an AS, you DO have to put it down.
    Except that its stated as optional and my teachers UCAS advisor (who's been doing it for 10 years) told me specifically it is optional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Except that its stated as optional and my teachers UCAS advisor (who's been doing it for 10 years) told me specifically it is optional.
    Yes it is optional if you haven't been given an AS. I don't know the exact name for it but for some certain situations (such as taking Maths and Further Maths) you do officially get 2 ASs. It was explained to me, so I remember, I just can't remember the way they explained it so I'm probably not making sense.

ReputationRep:
    It depends which exam you were entered for, I think. If you are only taking a subject to AS, and have been entered for the exam as, for example, Further Maths AS Cash-in, you have to put the subject on as an AS in its own right. If you were entered with the intention of continuing to A2, then most likely you don’t have to put the AS on your form, or to disclose your module grades as these are provisional until you have cashed in, and you can leave it as A-Level Maths with the grade as pending.
    However, check with your school what you’re entered for. And if your AS grades are good, there is the option to put them on under the Maths A-Level in qualifications.

I had the same problem, as I took Further Maths to AS only. Good luck with your application!

To clarify, Cash-In is where you receive a certificate after taking the AS, which there is no point in doing if you intend to continue to A2 with the subject, but I think you can still be entered for it and continue to A2, so check!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gd99)
    It depends which exam you were entered for, I think. If you are only taking a subject to AS, and have been entered for the exam as, for example, Further Maths AS Cash-in, you have to put the subject on as an AS in its own right. If you were entered with the intention of continuing to A2, then most likely you don’t have to put the AS on your form, or to disclose your module grades as these are provisional until you have cashed in, and you can leave it as A-Level Maths with the grade as pending.
    However, check with your school what you’re entered for. And if your AS grades are good, there is the option to put them on under the Maths A-Level in qualifications.

I had the same problem, as I took Further Maths to AS only. Good luck with your application!
    THAT WAS THE WORD.

If your results have been cashed in then you need to put them down, if not then it is optional. You will know if it's been cashed in because on your AS results breakdown you will have a final grade for Maths/Further Maths based on the 3 modules you took for each. If not, you will just have the individual UMS scores (and following grades) with no overall grade for the subject.

Depending on which one you have on your official results sheet, you may have to put your AS result on your UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    THAT WAS THE WORD.

If your results have been cashed in then you need to put them down, if not then it is optional. You will know if it's been cashed in because on your AS results breakdown you will have a final grade for Maths/Further Maths based on the 3 modules you took for each. If not, you will just have the individual UMS scores (and following grades) with no overall grade for the subject.

Depending on which one you have on your official results sheet, you may have to put your AS result on your UCAS application.
    Shut up moron. You don't need to put in module scores. It's not a requirement for most unis. And when it is, they specifically send out a separate sheet for you to fill in with your module scores.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offsetWHOOP)
    Shut up moron. You don't need to put in module scores. It's not a requirement for most unis. And when it is, they specifically send out a separate sheet for you to fill in with your module scores.
    While it’s not obligatory it’s recommended to include module grades. Leaving them off looks like you’re hiding a poor result. The full truth is better than suspicion.

Oh and don’t tell other tsr members to shut up or call names. Both are against the site rules (and not helpful to the OP to turn their thread into an argument).

———

OP

Just to sum up.

The official line from universities and UCAS (because this thread has a lot of contradictory opinions).

Read the stuck Declaring Grades thread (or if that’s not stuck anymore then the second post of the UCAS FAQ stuck thread).

An AS is a formal qualification and must be declared. That’s the overall grade. It’s a good idea to put in the module grades that contributed to those overall grades.

You also need to list your A levels as pending. If you list your completed modules that will contribute towards each A level grade plus the pending modules you’ll sit in the summer then it’s nice and clear to your universities that you’re on track with your qualifications (and aren’t sitting all the maths/fm modules all at once in yr13). That means they’ll be more confident that your predicted grades are based on actual results and not just guesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    While it’s not obligatory it’s recommended to include module grades. Leaving them off looks like you’re hiding a poor result. The full truth is better than suspicion.

Oh and don’t tell other tsr members to shut up or call names. Both are against the site rules (and not helpful to the OP to turn their thread into an argument).

———

OP

Just to sum up.

The official line from universities and UCAS (because this thread has a lot of contradictory opinions).

Read the stuck Declaring Grades thread (or if that’s not stuck anymore then the second post of the UCAS FAQ stuck thread).

An AS is a formal qualification and must be declared. That’s the overall grade. It’s a good idea to put in the module grades that contributed to those overall grades.

You also need to list your A levels as pending. If you list your completed modules that will contribute towards each A level grade plus the pending modules you’ll sit in the summer then it’s nice and clear to your universities that you’re on track with your qualifications (and aren’t sitting all the maths/fm modules all at once in yr13). That means they’ll be more confident that your predicted grades are based on actual results and not just guesses.
    Thank you. That is what I said, that if you have been awarded an AS you are legally obligated to declare it on your application.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That is what I said, that if you have been awarded an AS you are legally obligated to declare it on your application.
    Yes but modules are always optional to be added to an AS or pending A level....

ReputationRep:
    Modules are optional to add if you've got particularly high ones then I would put the scores, if not then don't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.