Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it is possible to meet someone online and build a meaningful friendship? Building meaningful friendships has been challenging for me in-person. I'm thinking about trying to online. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    ye lol I've done it with loads of people.

I'm in a business partnership with 1 of them :laugh: Dude sent me £500 when he won a poker tournament last year

ReputationRep:
    I have several really close friends who I originally met online
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I met a lot of my good friends online, especially TSR.

ReputationRep:
    You most certainly can. I played an online MMORPG game a few years ago ; met three amazing friends one is a lot older, one is my age and one is 3 years older. Its a great way of meeting people you would normally not expect in your daily life as they may be doing/working on things completely different to you. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just look in the right places. These 'make friends' websites can actually be full of weird/boring people with no life, no social skills and no clue about how to have an engaging conversation. It's the equivalent of looking on omegle. Full of lame asses.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Just look in the right places. These 'make friends' websites can actually be full of weird/boring people with no life, no social skills and no clue about how to have an engaging conversation. It's the equivalent of looking on omegle. Full of lame asses.
    which sites?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    which sites?
    :tsr:

(Original post by missy.n.martin)
    Do you think it is possible to meet someone online and build a meaningful friendship? Building meaningful friendships has been challenging for me in-person. I'm thinking about trying to online. Thoughts?
    I met my partner on world of Warcraft and we have been together for 6 years lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I met my best friend totally accidentally. It just somehow happened. This was on Minecraft though, and subsequently on Skype. It's one of them things that have happened without searching for it. Friends come when you least expect it.

ReputationRep:
    which sites?
    Facebook groups relevent to your personal interests.

Video games.

Forums.

Just don't try too hard and do your own thing and voice your own opinions publicly, but be nice to everyone you encounter. Then you'l just attract like minded people.

Agree that I've not really met anyone from a dating/friendship site. I've added a couple from tinder as facebook friends who I thought were interesting though.

Another thing is you might be more mature than people your own age, which is why you can't build a meaningful friendship. I don't really have any friends my own age lol. All of my friends are much older. I'm friends with a lot of older women :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I met a load of new friends through a Facebook group and am especially close to one (we’ve been to concerts together and stayed at each others houses) and we FaceTime a lot etc. It may not be “best friend” but most certainly close friends

ReputationRep:
    I've met a fair few, yes. There's bound to be others who have the same interests as you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.