Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm applying for a job at the moment, and it says it closes on '13th November at midnight'. Does that mean it closes one minute after 23:59 on the 13th or one minute after 23:59 on the 12th? It's completely ambiguous, and I'm sure it's the former, but I just wanted to check!

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    probably spot on 24:00 id imagine, why would it matter though?

ReputationRep:
    i would read it as one minute after 23:59 on the 13th

they should make it clearer :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    No,he means what date.

(Original post by cfc12345)
    Bump!
    I would guess the 12th. If you aren't sure, just do it before midnight on the 12th to be safe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gent2324)
    Because technically, if it says that it closes at midnight on the 13th, then that is either as soon as it becomes the 13th, or as soon as it becomes the 14th - surely? Usually jobs will say 'closes at 11:59' rather than 'midnight' to avoid the ambiguity of where midnight falls.

ReputationRep:
    Bump x2!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine 13th November at 00:00. So you have until 12th November 23:59 to submit it.

ReputationRep:
    It means 'at the end of the 13th'. But you should take it to mean 11pm to allow for crashes, internet not working etc.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it is ambiguous. Midnight is not strictly beginning of the day or end of the day. There is no strict definition.

In this case, since the 12th is a Sunday, I would bet on it being til end of Sunday 12th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    It means 'at the end of the 13th'. But you should take it to mean 11pm to allow for crashes, internet not working etc.
    That's what I thought originally, but with quite a few people saying otherwise, I'm not so sure anymore!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.