Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For my A-levels, I want to take French and English lit. In the future I may want to be a teacher for languages, but I'm not quite sure. Would maths or psychology be better for me as a third subject?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg687)
    For my A-levels, I want to take French and English lit. In the future I may want to be a teacher for languages, but I'm not quite sure. Would maths or psychology be better for me as a third subject?
    Which do you think you will enjoy and do best in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Which do you think you will enjoy and do best in?
    As I didn't take psychology as a gcse the A-Level would be brand new, but the subject sounds so interesting and I'd love to know more about psychology! I do well in English so I hope they'd help each other.
    Perosnally I don't know how much I'd enjoy maths, but I think I'd do well in it, a lot of people who I've spoken to have said that maths would open a lot of doors for me. I don't know if I should try a new subject or not!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As I didn't take psychology as a gcse the A-Level would be brand new, but the subject sounds so interesting and I'd love to know more about psychology! I do well in English so I hope they'd help each other.
    Perosnally I don't know how much I'd enjoy maths, but I think I'd do well in it, a lot of people who I've spoken to have said that maths would open a lot of doors for me. I don't know if I should try a new subject or not!
    With French and English alongside it the only door maths A level would open would be the option to take an economics degree.

For teaching psychology is likely to be a lot more help.

How flexible is your sixth form - would they allow you to start off with 4 subjects for the first term to help you decide? If you explain that you’re uncertain which to pick and that you would want to decide long before sitting any exams they might be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend maths, it's probably the most useful alevel of all. plus its a core subjects so thats a plus for uni choicew

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is an enjoyable A Level, and I studied the A Level without having done it at GCSE and did fine, most who were in my A Level class if not all didn't do Psychology GCSE, and I went to a very large sixth form.

If you think you'd enjoy Psych more, and you have an interest in it, then I personally think it's the better option.

Maths post GCSE is only useful for a Maths/Computer Science/Economics at degree level. Otherwise it doesn't open any less doors, especially not for languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Psychology is an enjoyable A Level, and I studied the A Level without having done it at GCSE and did fine, most who were in my A Level class if not all didn't do Psychology GCSE, and I went to a very large sixth form.

If you think you'd enjoy Psych more, and you have an interest in it, then I personally think it's the better option.

Maths post GCSE is only useful for a Maths/Computer Science/Economics at degree level. Otherwise it doesn't open any less doors, especially not for languages.
    Okay thank you very much :-) I don't plan on taking either of the pathways that lead on from Maths, so I was leaning a bit more towards psychology. I think I might prefer psychology actually.
    Thanks again :-)

ReputationRep:
    Psychology would probably be better- i dont know anyone that did psych at gcse and does psych for A levels
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    With French and English alongside it the only door maths A level would open would be the option to take an economics degree.

For teaching psychology is likely to be a lot more help.

How flexible is your sixth form - would they allow you to start off with 4 subjects for the first term to help you decide? If you explain that you’re uncertain which to pick and that you would want to decide long before sitting any exams they might be able to help.
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I won't go into economics so thank you for letting me know.

I've been talking to my teachers and most of them have told me that they think psychology would be great for teaching too.

My sixth form are pretty adamant that we take 3 A-Levels because 4 would be extremely difficult for anyone to handle, but if I do as well as I'm predicted to do, they may allow me. Although I think I'd rather do 3 and do as well as a possibly can, rather than pushing myself too hard by doing 4.
    I'm having a meeting with our careers adviser soon so I will definitely ask what you have suggested - thank you so much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.