The Student Room Group

I constantly feel tired after school throughout the school days

One of the major things which is just making my life harder from working is tiredness, I sleep at around 10PM and have to wake up at around 6:50AM, because it takes me around 1 hour and sometimes 2 hours to actually fall asleep that makes it 7 or 6 hours of sleep in total which I am guessing is quite reasonable yet whenever I come back from school I simply can't wait to jump on my bed again. I try SO HARD to revise whilst feeling tired as **** but I constantly keep on yawning during revision and eventually I fall asleep no matter how hard I try to stay awake. How can I stop myself from getting tired after school?
Are you a frequent lover for caffeine drinks such as, coffee and other drinks like redbull etc?
Reply 2
Original post by Jcrawford015
Are you a frequent lover for caffeine drinks such as, coffee and other drinks like redbull etc?

Again I tried combating my sleepiness by drinking that stuff, caffeine and redbull but somehow still feel tired.
Reply 3
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by The RAR
One of the major things which is just making my life harder from working is tiredness, I sleep at around 10PM and have to wake up at around 6:50AM, because it takes me around 1 hour and sometimes 2 hours to actually fall asleep that makes it 7 or 6 hours of sleep in total which I am guessing is quite reasonable yet whenever I come back from school I simply can't wait to jump on my bed again. I try SO HARD to revise whilst feeling tired as **** but I constantly keep on yawning during revision and eventually I fall asleep no matter how hard I try to stay awake. How can I stop myself from getting tired after school?

Hi, I actually have the same issue as you, just not as i extreme. I go to sleep at 10 - midnight and wake up at 6:45-7:15. I tend fall asleep within 30mins - 1hr 30 depending on how tired i am. And in general during school I ALWAYS feel tired, i can't remember the last day i actually woke up with a ton of energy..

My recommendation to you is (I know it may sound stupid, it did to seem to me at first) go see a doctor about it, it actually helps. I got some blood tests done and i found out i was anaemic. One of the common side effects of this is always feeling lethargic/tiredness. Since my case was not so severe I only got iron supplements (over the counter). I must say it does help me, but only to an extent. Since your case does seem much worse than mine you will definitely get something stronger than i did.

Simple things can also affect this, simple things just like your diet and the amount of exercise you do. tbh im not one to speak xD, i eat like a elephant and do exercise once a week xD. But if you are serious about fixing it you will do as much as you can to change it.
Reply 5
Original post by Nawf01
Hi, I actually have the same issue as you, just not as i extreme. I go to sleep at 10 - midnight and wake up at 6:45-7:15. I tend fall asleep within 30mins - 1hr 30 depending on how tired i am. And in general during school I ALWAYS feel tired, i can't remember the last day i actually woke up with a ton of energy..

My recommendation to you is (I know it may sound stupid, it did to seem to me at first) go see a doctor about it, it actually helps. I got some blood tests done and i found out i was anaemic. One of the common side effects of this is always feeling lethargic/tiredness. Since my case was not so severe I only got iron supplements (over the counter). I must say it does help me, but only to an extent. Since your case does seem much worse than mine you will definitely get something stronger than i did.

Simple things can also affect this, simple things just like your diet and the amount of exercise you do. tbh im not one to speak xD, i eat like a elephant and do exercise once a week xD. But if you are serious about fixing it you will do as much as you can to change it.

I actually got a blood test two weeks ago because my dad thought I was "unwell" is some ways, I should have the results very soon. If something fishy is indeed going on within my body, the blood tests will tell.
Reply 6
Original post by The RAR
I actually got a blood test two weeks ago because my dad thought I was "unwell" is some ways, I should have the results very soon. If something fishy is indeed going on within my body, the blood tests will tell.

ohh okay i see, well let's see what they say. but have you actually gone to your doctor with this specific issue? if you are embarrassed of going for this with your parents, once you go to the appointment you can request confidentiality to the doctor so your parents don't find out
Original post by The RAR
Again I tried combating my sleepiness by drinking that stuff, caffeine and redbull but somehow still feel tired.

This could be a leading factor to your sleepiness.
Coffee, redbull and boost all are simple carbohydrates this means they are easily broke down by your body and are quickly absorbed into your bloodstream making your blood sugar levels skyrocket for a short limited time then it crashes back down making you feel more tired than before.
I would recommend changing your diet for week and see how you feel. I would start by cutting out all fizzy drinks high in sugars. Swap these for complex carbohydrates that take longer to break down and give you a long lasting energy. Try having a smoothie in the morning along with a fortified cereal to get that non-haem iron absorbed. For snacks try fruit. If you really need coffee try artificial sweeteners.

Also who said napping between revision is bad? Revise over a topic and if you are feeling a bit tired have a 10min nap this is scientifically proven to improve memory.

Lastly don’t force yourself to sleep if you can’t get to sleep after 1hr in bed go for a walk to the toilet! Or go and run before bed. Whatever you do don’t be on your phone or read a book also don’t think about what you need to do the next day.

Hope this helps have fun revising. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Nawf01
ohh okay i see, well let's see what they say. but have you actually gone to your doctor with this specific issue? if you are embarrassed of going for this with your parents, once you go to the appointment you can request confidentiality to the doctor so your parents don't find out

Yes my parents were aware of this sleeping problem I had so when they requested a blood test they also mentioned this tiredness problem to the doctor.
Reply 9
Original post by Jcrawford015
This could be a leading factor to your sleepiness.
Coffee, redbull and boost all are simple carbohydrates this means they are easily broke down by your body and are quickly absorbed into your bloodstream making your blood sugar levels skyrocket for a short limited time then it crashes back down making you feel more tired than before.
I would recommend changing your diet for week and see how you feel. I would start by cutting out all fizzy drinks high in sugars. Swap these for complex carbohydrates that take longer to break down and give you a long lasting energy. Try having a smoothie in the morning along with a fortified cereal to get that non-haem iron absorbed. For snacks try fruit. If you really need coffee try artificial sweeteners.

Also who said napping between revision is bad? Revise over a topic and if you are feeling a bit tired have a 10min nap this is scientifically proven to improve memory.

Lastly don’t force yourself to sleep if you can’t get to sleep after 1hr in bed go for a walk to the toilet! Or go and run before bed. Whatever you do don’t be on your phone or read a book also don’t think about what you need to do the next day.

Hope this helps have fun revising. :wink:

10 min nap? I literally end up napping for freaking 5 hours!
I'm really sorry to hear about this, I'm moving this over to the Health forum for you :smile:
Power nap
Lay off things like red bull for a kick.
Stay hydrated.
Exercise a bit as this can help you feel fresh.
Check out vitamin levels, iron/vitamin d etc.
Original post by The RAR

Getting blood tests done was a good idea. If you have any sort of deficiency then sorting that out shold help a bunch.

Teenagers actually need about 9 hours sleep so try to get more sleep if you can. Not using screens for an hour before bed, having a warm drink or warm bath, listing to calming music and making sure room is a good temp and nice and dark should help you get to sleep more easily.
Make sure you are eating and drinking right.
Try not to rely on energy drinks or caffeine. It's fine for short term use, but if you are tired it's for a reason and you shouldn't be using through and ignoring it. That's not healthy and will just make things worse. You get reliant on them and suffer withdrawal what is worse for you all in all.
And actually, if you want an energy boost you may be better off with chocolate milk anyway. According to this at least:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/chocolate-milk-or-energy-drinks/
There is no point in trying to work through tiredness. Go have a nap or a warm bath. Straining your body isn't going to help your studying or health. Tiring yourself out by trying to revise could make you less able to take things in in class too. Sometimes less is more.

Hope that helps and good luck. :smile:
Original post by The RAR
10 min nap? I literally end up napping for freaking 5 hours!

tell me about it, how does one nap for 10 mins lol
What i go thru is a little different I go to sleep when i want like 8:00,9:00,10:00 or maybe even 11:00 i don't stay up to late i wake up at 6:00 take a shower get ready and leave at 7:00 and wait in front of the school with my friends cause the school opens at 7:30 so we either get breakfast or sit in the auditorium and have fun talking and running doing stupid teenage things and we go up stairs to class at 8:00 but anyways i feel so energized in school having fun running around and much much more but once i get home i am exhausted i live across the street from my school and **** i try so hard not to fall asleep like i am trying right now but i eventually fall asleep and my mom hates it she says
Coffee enema is very good for not feeling tired.
Original post by Nawf01

I don't think you need to request it? I remember my dad had to write a letter to the doctor so they would give my mum some information.
You could be anaemic. I was so tired during GCSES and found I was lacking in iron and Vitamin D. Ask for a blood test off your GP?

Quick Reply

Latest