Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lately i have been having second thoughts on studying games development at uni, simply due to the amount of jobs that are not there and the fear of not being able to get one, especially due to the fact i live in a village in north wales, there are no games development jobs close to me.

Lately ive been considering software engineering (I have not done software development in my BTEC level 3, is it too hard to start from uni?) Simply because of the fact its more likely i can get a job.

A serious question to anyone, what do you think is better? to go for something although you are passionate about, will likely not get you a job and will leave you in debt and having to go back to a old part time job and going full time, or playing it safe and going for a course which although i have no research prior, may get me a job?

thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    I think although it may sound cliche, always go for something you will actually enjoy, don’t spend £27000 just for the sake of getting to the next step in your career, if you love a job enough, you would probably be willing to move for it.
    Have you considered something like an apprenticeship? It’s a very good alternative if you can’t decide on a course and aren’t set on going to uni
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly i have and i decided i just want to move straight on to university, i have my mind set on it, but i'm honestly just terrified of not being able to get a job once i finish with my games development course, thats why i'm considering software development

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_a_k_e)
    Honestly i have and i decided i just want to move straight on to university, i have my mind set on it, but i'm honestly just terrified of not being able to get a job once i finish with my games development course, thats why i'm considering software development
    Don't be afraid! I'm going into Game Art, it's a very similar area to you. I am developing my freelance illustration work on the side of my studies so that if I find myself jobless at some point I can just switch to that as a full time job instead. Maybe try something similar? But don't go into something that you are not passionate about. I think one of the most important things in life is doing something you enjoy. Nothing like a soul-sucking day job to give you a midlife crisis, you know?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    i am AWFUL at art dude, as much as i love that i am dreadful haha, wont be for me, i just live in an area where there are essentially 0 game development jobs, kinda hard and stressful to figuire it out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.