Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    on jan 2012,q5, part (iii) , it says to use simpson's rule to work the question out. i stated what paper it is and which question it is since i couldn't include the table or the graph here.

Anyways, when i tried to do this, i got:

2/3(1+26) + 4(14+23)+ 2(8+25+19) , which is wrong according to the mark scheme? Can someone elaborate why please?

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board, which course specification and which paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    Which exam board, which course specification and which paper?
    Ocr core 3 the old spec

ReputationRep:
    OK, I've had a quick look. In the most basic form of Simpson's rule (three values, two strips), the coefficients are (1, 4, 1). For seven values and six strips you are effectively applying this three times, to (x0, x1, x2), (x2, x3, x4) and (x4, x5, x6). Note the overlap for x2 and x4. As a result, the pattern followed by the coefficients is (1,4,2,4,2,4,1), not (1,2,4,2,4,2,1).
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by elvss567)
    on jan 2012,q5, part (iii) , it says to use simpson's rule to work the question out. i stated what paper it is and which question it is since i couldn't include the table or the graph here.

Anyways, when i tried to do this, i got:

2/3(1+26) + 4(14+23)+ 2(8+25+19) , which is wrong according to the mark scheme? Can someone elaborate why please?
    For maths help threads, always provide the question or a link to the question in your posts please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by old_engineer)
    OK, I've had a quick look. In the most basic form of Simpson's rule (three values, two strips), the coefficients are (1, 4, 1). For seven values and six strips you are effectively applying this three times, to (x0, x1, x2), (x2, x3, x4) and (x4, x5, x6). Note the overlap for x2 and x4. As a result, the pattern followed by the coefficients is (1,4,2,4,2,4,1), not (1,2,4,2,4,2,1).
    hi, i'm not sure what you mean by coefficients during simpson's rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    For maths help threads, always provide the question or a link to the question in your posts please
    will do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.