Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I've been at The University of Dundee for 3 months.

I have no friends.

That isn't hyperbole - I literally have not been able to talk to someone for more than 30 seconds because they end up talking amongst other people who are already their friends. It didn't help I missed Fresher's Week, but I can't seem to break into anybody's friendships.

I have followed every piece of advice given to me - go to societies, talk in the kitchen area, try to chat to someone in my classes, be helpful to those who need help, etc etc... my flatmates are alright, but I get the impression they only talk to me cos they feel as if they have to, not that they want to. I'm the one feeling pretty isolated.

And no one outside my flat wants to be my friend here. It's really getting me down and I've got a countdown to Christmas so I can go back home just to be in proximity to people I know are my friends, and I really didn't want it to come to that. So seriously, how do I make friends here? If this is what I have to deal with for 4 years I may drop out. And I don't have a backup plan if that is the case.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frazzles)

I have followed every piece of advice given to me - go to societies, talk in the kitchen area, try to chat to someone in my classes, be helpful to those who need help, etc etc... my flatmates are alright, but I get the impression they only talk to me cos they feel as if they have to, not that they want to. I'm the one feeling pretty isolated.
    What societies have you joined?:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried going to your lectures/seminars early and talking to people there?

ReputationRep:
    There's a forum for each (British) uni on TSR, maybe have a look there

ReputationRep:

I have no friends.

That isn't hyperbole - I literally have not been able to talk to someone for more than 30 seconds because they end up talking amongst other people who are already their friends. It didn't help I missed Fresher's Week, but I can't seem to break into anybody's friendships.

And no one outside my flat wants to be my friend here. It's really getting me down and I've got a countdown to Christmas so I can go back home just to be in proximity to people I know are my friends, and I really didn't want it to come to that. So seriously, how do I make friends here? If this is what I have to deal with for 4 years I may drop out. And I don't have a backup plan if that is the case.
    why did you miss Freshers week? TBH mate freshers week is an important part of bonding with your hall and class mates. A this point you are thinking all is lost
    right? Well i can tell you now that is not the case here are a few options.

1. Join a socity a shaird intrest ina socl setting is a good way to meet and make friends.
    2. Talk to your class mates in labs and stuff you may end up liking them.
    3. Go do a second year in halls and this time do freshers you will have mates they will be a yere younger but who cairs.

there is one other option (and i don't like this one).

4. drop out and try again next yere in a new uni and DO FRESHERS WEEK (I can not stress how importantant freshers is).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

I have no friends.

Hey,

I am a fellow Uni of Dundee student, and honestly, I was the same until I reached my final year (this year).

I skipped first year, so that already put me at a disadvantage. Everyone else in halls, Seabraes, was in 1st year, and I was 2nd year, so I shared no classes with anyone in my flat. I didn't like the societies, I barely drank in my first year here. I was so alone. I had a boyfriend, but that turned out to be a shitstorm and a half. I sat alone in class, I studied alone. I barely spoke to anyone.

It continued on into my third year (second year here) and only in the last few months have I found a friendship group I like. Can I ask what subject you are studying and why you missed Freshers? I'm a 4th year Politics student here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Hey,

I am a fellow Uni of Dundee student, and honestly, I was the same until I reached my final year (this year).

I skipped first year, so that already put me at a disadvantage. Everyone else in halls, Seabraes, was in 1st year, and I was 2nd year, so I shared no classes with anyone in my flat. I didn't like the societies, I barely drank in my first year here. I was so alone. I had a boyfriend, but that turned out to be a shitstorm and a half. I sat alone in class, I studied alone. I barely spoke to anyone.

It continued on into my third year (second year here) and only in the last few months have I found a friendship group I like. Can I ask what subject you are studying and why you missed Freshers? I'm a 4th year Politics student here.
    Haha same here - pretty much summed up my first year experience. IT WAS SO LONELY!! Especially because I had loving friends back home I was missing so much.
    The best advice I can give is find another loner like you on your course and try and make friends that way. Just strick up a conversation about the lecture/lecturer and then ask them their interests etc to see if you have anything togo on.
    I have joined socs but all the people there are so blergh, although they are nice. But I keep activite in the soc because I like it, eventhough the people are not my cup of tea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.