Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I’m a year 13 student who studies Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and I’m hoping to go to Cardiff University.

Age 8 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (hoping people who know what that is can answer my question), which is a life-long illness with no cure. For those of you who don’t know what it is specifically but do know about DSA, I basically have inflammation/infection along my small intestine which in turn causes me to bleed internally and become anaemic. Then I get all the symptoms of anaemia as well as the internal issues that come with an inflamed intestine (which can spread when I have a flare in my disease).

Does anyone know if I would be eligible for DSA under these conditions?

I probably put too much detail in that paragraph but the more the merrier, right?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sounds rough, probably though, yeah.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    Okay so I’m a year 13 student who studies Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and I’m hoping to go to Cardiff University.

Age 8 I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (hoping people who know what that is can answer my question), which is a life-long illness with no cure. For those of you who don’t know what it is specifically but do know about DSA, I basically have inflammation/infection along my small intestine which in turn causes me to bleed internally and become anaemic. Then I get all the symptoms of anaemia as well as the internal issues that come with an inflamed intestine (which can spread when I have a flare in my disease).

Does anyone know if I would be eligible for DSA under these conditions?

I probably put too much detail in that paragraph but the more the merrier, right?
    DSA will only pay for extra study costs you have and not everyday costs you have. So, it won't pay for things like prescriptions or hospital trips. But if DSA (I don't know enough about your condition, sorry) can help with things like exam arrangements, computer equipment or software, etc. then they can recommend that.

DSA is for people who have a long term medical problem who have extra study needs due to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    DSA will only pay for extra study costs you have and not everyday costs you have. So, it won't pay for things like prescriptions or hospital trips. But if DSA (I don't know enough about your condition, sorry) can help with things like exam arrangements, computer equipment or software, etc. then they can recommend that.

DSA is for people who have a long term medical problem who have extra study needs due to this.
    My illness causes me to have need of an En Suite. Do you think the DSA will cover the difference in costs between student accommodation without an En Suite and with one?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _RobbieL_)
    My illness causes me to have need of an En Suite. Do you think the DSA will cover the difference in costs between student accommodation without an En Suite and with one?

Thank you.
    Unsure.

When I had my Needs Assessment the difference in accommodation was recommended to be paid back to me by my assessor to SFE as I need adapted accommodation, but SFE refused to pay the difference. My university did help with the difference in accommodation instead though, through the Access to Learning Fund (defunct) (in Year 1) and the Hardship Fund (Years 2 and 3). I was given "non-standard" awards which are for things like DSA-related study needs that funding bodies (e.g. SFE) refuse to pay (there are also "standard" awards as well which are for financial hardship - I also received this in first year because SFE messed up my loan). These awards are grants and you don't have to pay them back, but check to make sure it's the same at your university.

Essentially, it's pretty difficult for the difference in accommodation to be paid for by funding bodies nowadays tbh, but it's worth a shot. If not, your university should be able help.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your original question, you'll need some form of medical documentation which confirms your diagnosis and giving information on how the condition affects your ability to carry out day to day tasks. This needs to be sent in with the relevant year's DSA application form, once they're made available.

I'm not sure that you'll be entitled to help with additional costs for an en-suite in university accommodation. In fact, it concerns that me a university would be charging extra for a disability required 'adjustment'. I guess that would be discussed at your study needs assessment interview at a later date, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.