Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the Economics UG for Fall '18,my interview preference location was India.The list has been drawn out I haven't secured a place and their mail says,"Too many strong applicants this year and limited time hence not considered for interview in India,still under Cambridge College's consideration however."
    Has someone been through something like this?Do I have realistic chances for Cambridge's interview?

ReputationRep:
    My daughter who is applying from China and asked to be interviewed there received a similar email. Subsequently she has been asked to send in additional information but hasn't yet been informed whether or not she has been accepted for an interview in Cambridge. However she has heard that students from her school who applied to Cambridge the previous year and asked to be interviewed in China, were not interviewed locally but did receive interviews in Cambridge. (None were offered places though.)

ReputationRep:
    Oh.I read somewhere that Cambridge invite some people for interview even though they aren't actually getting a spot.Does the last part of your sentence imply some truth about that?Like I wouldn't be surprised if things worked the other way round.
    (Original post by HedgePig)
    My daughter who is applying from China and asked to be interviewed there received a similar email. Subsequently she has been asked to send in additional information but hasn't yet been informed whether or not she has been accepted for an interview in Cambridge. However she has heard that students from her school who applied to Cambridge the previous year and asked to be interviewed in China, were not interviewed locally but did receive interviews in Cambridge. (None were offered places though.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maitreyit)
    I applied for the Economics UG for Fall '18,my interview preference location was India.The list has been drawn out I haven't secured a place and their mail says,"Too many strong applicants this year and limited time hence not considered for interview in India,still under Cambridge College's consideration however."
    Has someone been through something like this?Do I have realistic chances for Cambridge's interview?
    Cambridge accepts only very few international students and if there are people better than you in your country, i think logically it would be a waste of money to go to the UK for the interview at Cambridge.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh.I read somewhere that Cambridge invite some people for interview even though they aren't actually getting a spot.Does the last part of your sentence imply some truth about that?Like I wouldn't be surprised if things worked the other way round.
    80% of applicants are invited for interview, about 1 in 5 of those will actually get a place at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    It makes absolutely no sense to invite people for an interview if you aren't prepared to offer them a spot. It may well be that if you were not offered an interview locally, that your chances are lower (I have no idea if this is actually the case) but why would busy admissions staff spend time interviewing people to whom they have no intention of offering a place?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.