Turn on thread page Beta

So I ave a biomedical science BSc.. now what? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Here are the options that I have thought of thus far.

    Grad entry to medicine
    Physicians assistant
    the Scientist training programme (STP) for genetic counseling, or clinical science

    I studied for my BSc in the US (im a dual national), because I originally had an environmental biology degree from the UK and didn't really like the course. Now that Im very close to finishing this BSc in Biomedical I am finding out how competitive a lot of these choices are - more so than I originally thought.

    My goal is to work in a hospital lab. I thought I could come to the US and complete the "Medical technology" bachelors and transfer it over, but turns out that doesnt seem too possible and the role I want would have to be obtained through the STP. Any information I have found seems to imply that the UK equivalent of a medical tech is only on ~20k per year (as opposed to 40k in my area of the US), which is a big contrast to a clinical lab scientist who is on ~37k gbp a year.

    Im going to apply to 2019 entry into what I've listed, but if none of those choices work out then Im not really sure what the rest of my options are. I have considered going for a masters, but I'm at a complete loss of what a good route is for a biomedical scientist who doesn't have much math, and has only studied the likes of analytical/organic/biochemistry for chemistry classes.

    The only thing I have come across is an MSc from uni of Manchester in Molecular Pathology - but it didn't list any potential career goals and a search didn't yield much.

    Does anyone have some potential ideas of what I could do? Or have any insight for how difficult it is to get registered with HCPC and IBMS with an international qualification?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by artesin)
    Only the IBMS and HCPC can tell you whether they will recognise your qualifications or not. You don't have to be a biomed scientist as you will have a load of transferable skills which you can take into any profession that uses them. You can do the STP after doing a masters and even a PhD. When I applied a long time ago most people had at least a masters degree which is why competition was so stiff.

    TraineeBMS will have more insight.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    The STP (to become a Clinical Scientist) is ridiculously competitive. It's worth noting that a lot of what they do is desk based, reviewing results that have been released from the laboratory and advising clinician's on further action. They work with the lab staff, but they are not lab staff.
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.