The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it does. I lost several relatives in World War 2, one who was in the Navy.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree. Can't stand the poppy police.

They've even got cars
poppycar.jpg
Original post by lalaland808
As a 21 year old, I believe that increasing the voting age to 26 is ridiculous. We have Members of Parliament who are younger than 26 (Mhairi Black). Young people who are bought up in today's world are more politically aware and are more interested in current affairs.

Do you actually believe that young people are more politically aware or more interested in current affairs. You are wrong there always been political awareness among young people of all generations. The only different now is the internet which let people get true and false information faster. I know people of all ages some with degrees who don't know who the prime minster is and think Brexit a breakfast cereal.
Im wearing a white one 😁😁
Maybe people are unaware about what it truly means to wear a poppy
It does not glorify war, it remembers those who have fallen. It's my birthday on Remembrance day and I'll make sure I wear my poppy
Original post by Drewski
And since when are outsiders' perspectives accurate?

Yes, there's a principle and a main function behind armed forces: defence.

I'm sure you believe in self defence. I'm sure you believe that a person has a right to be safe, to deter attackers.

So why wouldn't a nation have the same right?

And yes, you're right, charities do exist to do those things. After natural disasters, charities are amongst the first to send aid.

How is that aid delivered? Through and by the men, women and equipment of the armed forces.
I know. I've helped plan it.

do you know of any animal charities that help animals that have been used combat in the armed services
Original post by PQ
They've even got cars
poppycar.jpg

That is truly insensitive, war veterans would shudder at it. The police have become just another tentacle for the cultural revolution, you only have to look at the top. No money to chase criminals but they always find that little bit extra for the social agenda and performance bonuses.

It is shocking that some people see any glorification of anything, those who lived through the war would have been deeply offended by that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zhog
That is truly insensitive, war veterans would shudder at it. The police have become just another tentacle for the cultural revolution, you only have to look at the top. No money to chase criminals but they always find that little bit extra for the social agenda and performance bonuses.

It is shocking that some people see any glorification of anything, those who lived through the war would have been deeply offended by that.

https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/photos/a.263638134884.138827.26035834884/10151254509514885/?type=3 Is still the most disrespectful place I’ve seen a poppy.
Original post by looloo2134
do you know of any animal charities that help animals that have been used combat in the armed services

Most obvious one that springs to mind is the PDSA with the Dickin medal clicky.
We have poppies over here in Canada, too.

They don't glorify anything. They merely exist to remember those who gave their lives in war. People who believe they 'glorify war' are ignorant and need to learn more about what the poppies represent.
Anyone here not wear the poppy because they believe that it is rather DISGUSTINGLY being used (along with the whole remembrance parade) as a subtle way to convince the voting public that war and conflict is always necessary to 'protect our rights'. The politicians should realise the best way to preserve our rights and sovereignty is NOT TO FORCE our armed forces to get involved in wars in random countries where we don't understand their politics, thus causing the rise of international terrorism.

I'm sorry, butt for the stated reason above, I don't wear the poppy for the reason mentioned above. The original reasoning behind the poppy is being slowly eroded away.

Oh, and the fact that war criminal tony blair attends the cenotaph ceremony every year is PARTICULARLY NAUSEATING, DISPIRITING, REVOLTING and out-wright wrong, thus further tarnishing the meaning of the poppy!!!!
I donated and have one but i won't be wearing it as I'm from Northern Ireland and here the poppy is basically just a political symbol often associated with loyalist paramilitary groups.
I have a son in the Armed Forces. He has done 2 tours of Iraq and one in Afghanistan. I have never worn a poppy. It's my belief, and I could be wrong, that people wear a poppy because they think they should. Every year I make blankets for the British Legion where I live. Ten in all if I can manage it these days. I know ex service men and women who are living in poverty and have to choose whether to eat or heat and this is how we treat those who have fought in wars to accord us the freedoms we have today. Wearing a poppy for one day, but remembering that the rest of the year these people are struggling to survive.
I don't think it Glorifies War at all, if anything it's a reminder that War is horrible and people die.

I will be wearing a Poppy, always have and I always will
Original post by katemoss
Im wearing a white one 😁😁
Maybe people are unaware about what it truly means to wear a poppy

I'd be very careful wearing it around Combat Veterans...
Reply 75
I think it's important to remember the cost of war, but I don't personally feel that the poppy is the best means to do that. Wearing the poppy has become somewhat self-congratulory. It's like updating your Facebook status to let people know you've gone out and voted. It turns something that's supposed to be about others into something about yourself. It's also a way for people to feel superior to others (patriotism, poppy shaming).

The poppy as a symbol is taken from World War 1, which I believe should remind us of the horror and senseless tragedy of war, but today that message has been muddied. The poppy today is associated with themes of militarism and nationalism, and of glorifying the dead for having various motives that we project onto them (e.g. to protect the right to vote). If not wearing a poppy is disrespectful to their sacrifice, then what is the manipulation of their memory to support our personal agendas?

We all know that the poppy isn't supposed to glorify war, but when we talk about the noble sacrifices made by our ancestors for going to war (and in the case of WW1, not necessarily for the right reasons), it sure feels like we're glorifying war - glorifying the idea of making the ultimate sacrifice in the name of one's country.

If the goal is to remember the dead, and to empathise with the situation they were placed under, then in my opinion Remembrance Day is appropriate. The two minute silence is solemn and introspective. The poppy, on the other hand, is loud and is an outward statement of one's views. It would be nice if it could just be a simple mark of respect, but I don't think that it is.
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe that you can wear what you want. I'll be wearing one, I do every year. I've been in the Remembrance Day scout marches, I've sold poppies, I've donated at least £30 in my life time, maybe more.

I don't believe people should be forced to wear one, and to some extent I understand why you wouldn't want to. But I struggle to understand the people who say it glorifies war. Yes the money goes to support veterans and also goes towards support for the army, but honestly it just shows respect. We also remember the fallen from all countries - yes mainly focused on our own but that's what a country does - we still pay respect to the Germans and it's always been this way.

Also, young people are more politically aware than ever, they just have their own opinions, and with more political awareness comes vast political opinions. Also we have the internet, where 50 Tom, ****, and Harry's can post whatever. It doesn't mean young people shouldn't be listened to. If you have a political opinion, don't keep it back :wink: (unless it's too far over the line).

I don't know if anyone watched the show (don't remember name know it's BBC 1) where in Manchester they brought out a whole street for struggling veterans. It was mainly linked to children in need and help for heroes, but we need more things like this.

On the other hand, if you donate but don't want to wear it because of some political agenda or just because that's how you feel, I respect that. And you shouldn't be criticised for your choice. That's how some wars start in the first place.

I don't wear it because I think I should - I wear it because as an 18 year old I have a choice - and my choice is to wear it. I have had great grandparents and step great grandparents in the war and friends who's dads have died in the war. And even if I didn't, it's just something I believe in. As I'm no longer in the scouts, it's a way for me to remember.

If the poppy glorifies war, it's only because the people of today have made it that way. It was never intended to be a symbol to glorify war.
Reply 77
I agree it is incredibly important to remember Wars and show respect to veterans and civilian victims of war. However, I don't wear a poppy. I sometimes wear a white one, but generally I don't wear one at all. This is because I really dislike what rememberance day in the UK has turned into - often it does not feel like a sombre occasion where we remember all wars through history, and wars that happen today, etc, but instead turns into some weird fireworks show to celebrate British victory in the world wars. That's not the point! It gets hijacked by nationalist and racist/xenophobic groups, the ones that market themselves as patriotic but are actually just intolerant. I can't stand that.

Tl;dr it's all well and good to remember war but we should do it properly and think about all the victims of war - soldiers on both sides, civilians, etc, including those killed in modern conflicts - rather than celebrate British victories.
Poppies grew on land after war ended iirc, so if anything it represents ending of war and peace - alongside remembering those who fought and lost their lives. I wear a poppy out of respect.
It has now become a symbol representing ALL that had fallen and that keep falling in past and current wars, it used to be solely for the British but not anymore. on all other points that you mentioned i mostly agree.

Latest