Urgent: Law judicial precedent latin words

Watch
username2905396
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I understand that judicial precedent means judge made law however I am struggling to understand what the purpose of the Latin words are (ratio decindi etc.). Do they amount to what is known as a JP or are they forms of JP?
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, are you simply asking what the ratio and obiter are? Haven't you googled it?

Ratio = the key point that determines the case, the principle that the case establishes. It is binding precedent on lower courts.

Obiter = an expression of opinion by the judge which is not a key of the decision on the case. It is not binding.
username2905396
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Crumpet1)
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, are you simply asking what the ratio and obiter are? Haven't you googled it?

Ratio = the key point that determines the case, the principle that the case establishes. It is binding precedent on lower courts.

Obiter = an expression of opinion by the judge which is not a key of the decision on the case. It is not binding.
I do not understand the relevance of the Latin words to Judicial Precedent. Are they what cause a precedent or are they separate forms of precedent? What is their job? Google's just confused me completely
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by g._.k16)
I do not understand the relevance of the Latin words to Judicial Precedent. Are they what cause a precedent or are they separate forms of precedent? What is their job? Google's just confused me completely
The ratio is the binding part of the case. It is judicial precedent. The obiter is not.

Read this, especially para 5:

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-...-law-essay.php
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (206)
47.14%
Take exams next summer (63)
14.42%
Change uni choice through clearing (98)
22.43%
Apply to uni next year instead (44)
10.07%
I'm not applying to university (26)
5.95%

Watched Threads