Turn on thread page Beta

Anthony Joshua v Deontay Wilder watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    Wilder will murder him lmao, look at the speed difference between them and he's only 10kg lighter. AJ could barely breathe in his last fight.

Palmyra It's****ingWOODY thoughts?
    Don’t make the mistake of putting too much emphasis on athleticism and not enough on actual boxing skill. Wilder is severely lacking in the latter.

ReputationRep:
    AJ without a doubt. They both have comparable power and speed, but Joshua has much tighter technique, throws a more complete range of punches, tight combos, also wilder's technique is dreadful and his ring intelligence is limited.

ReputationRep:
    It seems a lot of you are claiming Deontay Wilder is more “experienced” than Anthony Joshua...

I couldn’t disagree more... Joshua boxed for a world title in his 16th fight, had to come off the canvas in his 19th fight to knockout Wladimir Klitschko in front of 90,000 fans with a nation’s expectations, then fought in front of 78,000 people at another stadium fight with a nation’s expectations once again. That shows vastly greater experience compared to someone who hasn’t fought a legitimate top 10 heavyweight in his first 39 fights in Deontay Wilder, and has NEVER had to deal with the pressure of having whole country behind him and many brand/sponsorship deals. Joshua has proved he can battle adversity, Deontay Wilder hasn’t in a professional fight. Joshua started boxing in 2008/2009 I believe, yet at that same time Wilder just turned pro - look at the difference in achievements between the two since then.

If either man was to hit the canvas in that fight, only one man has proved they can get up and have the heart to go onto win the fight - that’s Joshua.

Now talking about styles/the fight itself - Wilder is MUCH faster/more sudden than Joshua (assuming Joshua stays around 254lbs), and probably has a harder right hand. Wilder has quicker foot speed and a good jab, and we can now conclude that he has better stamina than Joshua - the weight and body mass of Joshua is a serious issue for him in the latter rounds of fights. This is therefore a VERY dangerous fight for Joshua. A lot of people mention that Wilder’s technique is awful compared to Joshua’s - true, but that means nothing once Deontay Wilder lands an array of big bombs on you... If Wilder lands on Joshua and Joshua goes down and gets back up, don’t expect Wilder to let Joshua of the hook like Klitschko did...

That said, it seems that when Wilder fights someone around his height he has difficulty - he was caught multiple times and even slightly wobbled by Eric Molina; he was being comprehensively outboxed by Gerald Washington for the first 4 rounds. Wilder is always open for a straight right hand, his defence very bad, and even though Joshua easily gets hit, Wilder is always open.

If I had to pick a winner - considering Wilder doesn’t seem to have the greatest of chins and his body is so slender (imagine big Anthony Joshua body shots landing on Wilder) - I’d pick Joshua: he’s fought the better opposition and proved a lot more at world level compared to Wilder and shown he can battle adversity. However I am NOT confident in my pick - this is a VERY DANGEROUS AND TOUGH fight. Either outcome wouldn’t surprise me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_d2010)
    AJ without a doubt. They both have comparable power and speed,
    >female analysts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    >female analysts
    No correlation, you are just trying to pick something out from what I said when you know it's true, 'ignorant' analyst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0p5y)
    It seems a lot of you are claiming Deontay Wilder is more “experienced” than Anthony Joshua...

I couldn’t disagree more... Joshua boxed for a world title in his 16th fight, had to come off the canvas in his 19th fight to knockout Wladimir Klitschko in front of 90,000 fans with a nation’s expectations, then fought in front of 78,000 people at another stadium fight with a nation’s expectations once again. That shows vastly greater experience compared to someone who hasn’t fought a legitimate top 10 heavyweight in his first 39 fights in Deontay Wilder, and has NEVER had to deal with the pressure of having whole country behind him and many brand/sponsorship deals. Joshua has proved he can battle adversity, Deontay Wilder hasn’t in a professional fight. Joshua started boxing in 2008/2009 I believe, yet at that same time Wilder just turned pro - look at the difference in achievements between the two since then.

If either man was to hit the canvas in that fight, only one man has proved they can get up and have the heart to go onto win the fight - that’s Joshua.

Now talking about styles/the fight itself - Wilder is MUCH faster/more sudden than Joshua (assuming Joshua stays around 254lbs), and probably has a harder right hand. Wilder has quicker foot speed and a good jab, and we can now conclude that he has better stamina than Joshua - the weight and body mass of Joshua is a serious issue for him in the latter rounds of fights. This is therefore a VERY dangerous fight for Joshua. A lot of people mention that Wilder’s technique is awful compared to Joshua’s - true, but that means nothing once Deontay Wilder lands an array of big bombs on you... If Wilder lands on Joshua and Joshua goes down and gets back up, don’t expect Wilder to let Joshua of the hook like Klitschko did...

That said, it seems that when Wilder fights someone around his height he has difficulty - he was caught multiple times and even slightly wobbled by Eric Molina; he was being comprehensively outboxed by Gerald Washington for the first 4 rounds. Wilder is always open for a straight right hand, his defence very bad, and even though Joshua easily gets hit, Wilder is always open.

If I had to pick a winner - considering Wilder doesn’t seem to have the greatest of chins and his body is so slender (imagine big Anthony Joshua body shots landing on Wilder) - I’d pick Joshua: he’s fought the better opposition and proved a lot more at world level compared to Wilder and shown he can battle adversity. However I am NOT confident in my pick - this is a VERY DANGEROUS AND TOUGH fight. Either outcome wouldn’t surprise me
    Very true but then again either could win, however, Joshua does have the advantage here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwalk)
    Why does Wilder's body look weird for?
    He looks quite skinny for a heavyweight.
    Wasn't he a basketball player before he picked up boxing?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The worst thing AJ can do is pack on the muscle for a fight vs Wilder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    He's 6 foot 7 (AJ is 6 foot 4 so he has a reach advantage) and around 103kilos..

He's significantly lighter than Joshua so he's gonna be quicker but Joshua will pack the punch.
    To be fair to Wilder he hits harder than Joshua. It's Wilder's punch that's makes this such an interesting fight. AJ is in real danger all the time Wilder is in front of him.

Whether this fight happens will come down to whether Wilder comes down to a 70/30 split of the purse.

ReputationRep:
    On my mind, Joshua is the best heavyweight boxer now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 18, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.