Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats the difference between Masters courses and Postgraduate courses? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought the academic road was supposed to look something like this:

K12 > College > Undergraduate > Masters > PHD

Maybe I am just wrong :cool:

ReputationRep:
    A Masters is just one type of postgraduate course. Some people change their minds about what they want to do even after they've graduated with their undergraduate degree but don't have the knowledge to jump onto a Masters in that field straightaway. Circumstances may change.

I'm a good example - graduated with a degree in Forensic Chemistry but wanted to go into Forensic Psychology instead. To become an accredited psychologist you have to have completed a degree or conversion course which is accredited by the British Psychological Society, which is also a requisite for entry onto most, if not all, psychology-related Masters courses. So I did a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology, which enabled me to become a member of the BPS and also means I can apply for a Masters in Forensic Psychology.

Other people may not wish to do a Masters as it's very content heavy, very specific and includes a lot of independent study, a lot more than undergraduate courses anyway. There's also the issue of funding or the viability of actually doing a Masters - people may have families so can't move away to a university hosting a specific course and choose to do a different type of postgraduate course instead, which is closer to home. Basically, other postgraduate courses may suit different individuals more than a Masters, it just means there's several different pathways to achieving the same goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Generally speaking, yes, it does work like that. But you've got to remember some people change their minds about what they want to do even after they've graduated with their undergraduate degree or decide they don't want to go into whatever subject their degree is in. Circumstances may change.

I'm a good example - graduated with a degree in Forensic Chemistry but wanted to go into Forensic Psychology instead. To become an accredited psychologist you have to have completed a degree or conversion course which is accredited by the British Psychological Society, which is also a requisite for entry onto most, if not all, psychology-related Masters courses. So I did a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology, which enabled me to become a member of the BPS and also means I can apply for a Masters in Forensic Psychology.

Other people may not wish to do a Masters as it's very content heavy, very specific and includes a lot of independent study, a lot more than undergraduate courses anyway.

There's also the issue of funding or the viability of actually doing a Masters - people may have families so can't move away from home to a university hosting a specific course and choose to do a different postgraduate course instead, which is closer to home.
    So... pg courses are a stepping stone for undergrads looking for an alternative career? Thanks for your response!

ReputationRep:
    Postgraduate is a catch-all term for any qualification above or dependent on already having an undergraduate degree. So it includes masters, PhDs, professional doctorates, postgraduate diplomas, teaching qualifications, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.