Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to find the true religion? ( FIND YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzi123)
    Excellent reply but what I meant in terms of unique is the way God is described in the Quran is a God free from imperfection .

Now I do not mean this is an offensive way please don't take it wrong this is not my intention. But some attributes given to God in the old testament are imperfect e.g

God repenting and regretting he made man

This means God is not all knowing

Thank you. I won't take anything in an offensive way. It's great to be able to discuss these things.

The Quran says ‘Every living thing on the earth will die, but his face is eternal’ (55:26-27).

Looking at the verse above, would you therefore say Allah is a man because he is described with having face? Or 'Allah does not love those who reject Islam (30:45)', is Allah emotional which is another human attribute.

Allah heard the conversation between a divorced woman and Mohammed (58:1). He hears and sees everything (4:134), does Allah have eyes and ears?

The voice Moses heard from the burning tree said, “Moses, I am Allah...” (28:30). Allah was in the fire and all around it (27:8). Was Allah walking on earth?

His hands are outstretched (5:64)

There are many more examples where Allah is given human attributes.

The mistake is to interpret the bible as if God were a man. We know God is spirit but throughout scripture we read human/physical attributes being applied to God.

The body parts are not as literal descriptions of God, but metaphorical - they do not apply to God in the same way they apply to humans, "anthropomorphisms".

The phrase pathetic fallacy is a literary term for the attributing of human emotion and conduct to all aspects within nature. It is a kind of personification that is found in poetic writing when, for example, clouds seem sullen, when leaves dance, or when rocks seem indifferent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy

God is all knowing because God is before us in time as well as in the past and present, God is able to do this because, as we understand in our limited understanding, God is spirit and eternal, from the beginning to the end. God already knows the ending. God knows all of our lives, from before conception he knew us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    But for it to be a god is must have some god like attributes?

Let's just ignore omnipotence, omniscience etc and say that any God must at least meet the basic criteria of being the first mover. Would you agree with that?
    Unless you are a mystic or a negativist that thinks to apply human linguistic concepts to the Absolute is always necessarily inadequate and so mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    you will find the true religion, where you think you GOD is their and to empower your faith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Thank you. I won't take anything in an offensive way. It's great to be able to discuss these things.

The Quran says ‘Every living thing on the earth will die, but his face is eternal’ (55:26-27).

Looking at the verse above, would you therefore say Allah is a man because he is described with having face? Or 'Allah does not love those who reject Islam (30:45)', is Allah emotional which is another human attribute.

Allah heard the conversation between a divorced woman and Mohammed (58:1). He hears and sees everything (4:134), does Allah have eyes and ears?

The voice Moses heard from the burning tree said, “Moses, I am Allah...” (28:30). Allah was in the fire and all around it (27:8). Was Allah walking on earth?

The mistake is to interpret the bible as if God were a man. We know God is spirit but throughout scripture we read human/physical attributes being applied to God.

The body parts are not as literal descriptions of God, but metaphorical - they do not apply to God in the same way they apply to humans, "anthropomorphisms".

The phrase pathetic fallacy is a literary term for the attributing of human emotion and conduct to all aspects within nature. It is a kind of personification that is found in poetic writing when, for example, clouds seem sullen, when leaves dance, or when rocks seem indifferent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathetic_fallacy

God is all knowing because God is before us in time as well as in the past and present, God is able to do this because, as we understand in our limited understanding, God is spirit and eternal, from the beginning to the end. God already knows the ending. God knows all of our lives, from before conception he knew us.
    Would you mind if I answer this please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszShortee786)
    Would you mind if I answer this please?
    Who are you asking , I don't mind if muzi123 doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you asking , I don't mind if muzi123 doesn't.
    I was asking you, seeing as you have made a point. Nonetheless I will wait for their reply before I answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reynalyn)
    you will find the true religion, where you think you GOD is their and to empower your faith
    ? Not quite sure what you mean. If it's all about YOU then you have created a religion to suit you. Knowing God doesn't always suit you because you, me, us are all fallible.

ReputationRep:

Sorry for late reply . I am not online much maybe I might respond in another couple of days.

1.The correct approach is to affirm the meaning in a real sense, without likening Him to His creation, as Allah said of Himself in the Qur’an (interpretation of the meaning): There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer”

So Allah has a face but not like our face . Face by the word is the same but it is outside our imagination to comprehend what that face actually is we are judging based on what we see of a face but we cannot apply that to God as he is transcendent there is nothing like him.

2. The attributes of Allah are different from creation only by NAME THEY ARE SAME not by degree . Allah's love is unique separate from creation we cannot imagine what that love is. He is the source of love so off course he is loving. Does not the Bible even say God hates some people aswell.

3. Allah's hearing seeing is different . Allah sees hears everything we do not not. Our hearing seeing is limited. Allah does not see with eyes and does not hear with ears like humans do . Also, we do not know HOW Allah sees hears but that does not negate the fact he hears and sees everything. Its a different type of seeing ours has limitations and we see through human eyes Allah's is unique transcendent

4.. "Was Allah walking on earth? " read Genesis that is God who was walking on earth

Allah was not in the fire no evidence. It was Allah's veil. (If u ask I can go more into detail)

Now compare this with this verse

The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

So the LORD said, "I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created--and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground--for I regret that I have made them." Genesis

This verse points to weakness which is God is not all knowing . However, the attributes of Allah in Quran do not point to human deficiency e.g not all powerful not all knowing etc

How can God regret that he made man?

If I buy something then regret it later I bought it that is because I did not have the previous knowledge .

ReputationRep:

Bible says God has hands aswell
    I agree with u they do not apply to God in the same way they apply to humans yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    What about other proposed gods? Do you rule them all out or just Allah?
    None of them exist but Islam makes the biggest fuss over their God.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.