Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't applying for university coursesbe easier Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to live in a world where clicking "enroll" ensures you are selected for the forthcoming batch. If not then the next.

All those PS and whatever should be for scholarships or for people who don't fill the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaintedLight)
    I want to live in a world where clicking "enroll" ensures you are selected for the forthcoming batch. If not then the next.

All those PS and whatever should be for scholarships or for people who don't fill the entry requirements.
    But that's lazy. It isn't as if the PS will be consuming weeks of your time. I spent several hours on mine and got into uni so don't focus on it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Just because you have the grades does not mean that you are particularly suited to a course. PS show your passion for a subject that might not necessarily come across with your marks. You need to show more than just some grades; the person needs to be demonstrated too, and that is why we have PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Just because you have the grades does not mean that you are particularly suited to a course. PS show your passion for a subject that might not necessarily come across with your marks. You need to show more than just some grades; the person needs to be demonstrated too, and that is why we have PS.
    Okay. But I don't like this scripted approach. Such things like passion should be tested on a real time basis.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    But that's lazy. It isn't as if the PS will be consuming weeks of your time. I spent several hours on mine and got into uni so don't focus on it.
    I don't like this fanciful embellishments. The personality reflecting the PS and the real deal is sooooooooooooooo different.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Okay. But I don't like this scripted approach. Such things like passion should be tested on a real time basis.

I don't like this fanciful embellishments. The personality reflecting the PS and the real deal is sooooooooooooooo different.
    Passion can come across on paper though. Not through some marks on a page. Passion in real time basis would mean face to face interviews for everyone, and not all unis can spare time for that approach for all degree subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think my post wasn't very clear, reading it back. The PS isn't the determining factor if you get the grades or above. But if you are hovering around the line or applying to a really good uni the PS will be what makes the difference. The statement does need to be done, but in different circumstances you can spend very little or a lot of time on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Passion can come across on paper though. Not through some marks on a page. Passion in real time basis would mean face to face interviews for everyone, and not all unis can spare time for that approach for all degree subjects.
    Or skype or phone call... I can imagine reading PS of over 1000+ applicants making me so numb.

Also I would argue the majority in this life don't follow their passion. They just gracefully accept whatever fate offered them and try to improve upon it.

ReputationRep:
    Tell you what snowflake. Just carry on expecting everything to be given to you on a plate. Believe it or not, somethings in life require work, application and some effort, you seem yet to have discovered this. If you can be bothered, and then find out that occasionally you need to do some work at uni to get a degree. But hey, you can then just truck up to a job fair and demand just to be given a 60k a year job. There is competition for places and a PS sorts out those than can be bothered or not

ReputationRep:
    There has to be a way to make a decision between certain students. So many good students have the same grades and its difficult to make a decision without having things to be able to compare besides grades unless its first come first serve, which would probably be unfair as hell in my opinion.

ReputationRep:

The whole point of the PS is to actually see if you are motivated enough to pursue further education especially in the subject you want to study.

I think this is imp imo since ofc if you can't find the will to write 1 page about why you want to study the topic, it will be very hard to continue with the motivation once you are at University since it is lot more difficult and stressful to get though the 3 years then.

Anyway everyone struggles to write the PS but once you get on with it, it gets done sooner than not, but you've to find the will to start it.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ngl if writing a personal statement is too much work you won't last very long when you get here 😂😂 take it from someone who is at uni, it's like a cv, the uni doesn' just want someone who is all grades but no substance. They want to see that you'e got a real interest in your subject, see how you write and the way you present yourself because at the end of the day it should never be all about exams and it certainly isn't so it is therefore more accessible to others who maybe worry or struggle in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshmallow98)
    Ngl if writing a personal statement is too much work you won't last very long when you get here 😂😂 take it from someone who is at uni, it's like a cv, the uni doesn' just want someone who is all grades but no substance. They want to see that you'e got a real interest in your subject, see how you write and the way you present yourself because at the end of the day it should never be all about exams and it certainly isn't so it is therefore more accessible to others who maybe worry or struggle in exams.
    I already demonstrated my PS proficiency for my undergrad. I spent lot of time on that. I have almost 3 years work experience now. I should be beyond the write-a-stupid-essay gimmick :cool:

(Original post by a9493r)
    The whole point of the PS is to actually see if you are motivated enough to pursue further education especially in the subject you want to study.

I think this is imp imo since ofc if you can't find the will to write 1 page about why you want to study the topic, it will be very hard to continue with the motivation once you are at University since it is lot more difficult and stressful to get though the 3 years then.

Anyway everyone struggles to write the PS but once you get on with it, it gets done sooner than not, but you've to find the will to start it.
    Best of luck!
    Thanks and best wishes to you too! When I'm 60 years old I plan to launch the University of Rectitudo with all my savings.

(Original post by philmarsh)
    Tell you what snowflake. Just carry on expecting everything to be given to you on a plate. Believe it or not, somethings in life require work, application and some effort, you seem yet to have discovered this. If you can be bothered, and then find out that occasionally you need to do some work at uni to get a degree. But hey, you can then just truck up to a job fair and demand just to be given a 60k a year job. There is competition for places and a PS sorts out those than can be bothered or not
    wtf

ReputationRep:
    personal statements can be really useful! sometimes someone might think they want to apply for one course but through reading about that person's. strengths and passions in their statement a university could realise they are more suited to a different course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.