Why is the addition of Br2 to an alkene an electrophilic addition reaction?

Watch
batman000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My text book says that when a Br2 molecule approaches the C=C in an alkene, a δ+ charge is induced on a nearer Br atom. Then this atom attracts the electrons in the C=C bond and forms a covalent bond.

The Br-Br bond breaks heterolytically and the Br- ion forms a bond with the positively charged carbon.

So why can't it be called a nucleophilic addition reaction instead of a electrophilic addition reaction ??
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by batman000)
My text book says that when a Br2 molecule approaches the C=C in an alkene, a δ+ charge is induced on a nearer Br atom. Then this atom attracts the electrons in the C=C bond and forms a covalent bond.

The Br-Br bond breaks heterolytically and the Br- ion forms a bond with the positively charged carbon.

So why can't it be called a nucleophilic addition reaction instead of a electrophilic addition reaction ??
The Br delta+ is behaving as electrphile and reacts with the electron rich double bond. This results in an intermediate carbocation which atracts the Br-

I suppose you could consider that last step to be a "nucleophilic addition". That woulld however miss the point of how the reaction initiates.

Any addition "across" an insaturated bond will be electrophilic.
An electrphile is required to initiate the "opening up" of the double bond.
batman000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by TutorsChemistry)
The Br delta+ is behaving as electrphile and reacts with the electron rich double bond. This results in an intermediate carbocation which atracts the Br-

I suppose you could consider that last step to be a "nucleophilic addition". That woulld however miss the point of how the reaction initiates.
Thanks. That does make sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.74%
No (432)
66.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed