The Student Room Group

Can i go onto uni with an apprenticeship

I was wondering if i am able to do an apprenticeship and then go onto uni to study medicine , is this possible to do?
What are you doing an apprenticeship in?
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
What are you doing an apprenticeship in?

im currently not doing an apprenticeship im at sixth form but i'm not wanting to stay in sixth form and was wondering what types of apprenticeships i could do if this were possible
Original post by kingazbo
im currently not doing an apprenticeship im at sixth form but i'm not wanting to stay in sixth form and was wondering what types of apprenticeships i could do if this were possible

The traditional route is doing A-Levels at college and then using that to apply for medicine courses. I feel if you are applying for apprenticeship, you have a certain career in mind already. Sometimes at the end of the apprenticeship, you may be offered a job, so I am not sure how useful it will be if you want to study medicine at university.

I don't know if this is something that might be of help, I had a look on the internet and there are apprenticeships available with the NHS for health related professions if it interests you: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-cadet-schemes
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
The traditional route is doing A-Levels at college and then using that to apply for medicine courses. I feel if you are applying for apprenticeship, you have a certain career in mind already. Sometimes at the end of the apprenticeship, you may be offered a job, so I am not sure how useful it will be if you want to study medicine at university.

I don't know if this is something that might be of help, I had a look on the internet and there are apprenticeships available with the NHS for health related professions if it interests you: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-cadet-schemes

Thank you
Original post by kingazbo
I was wondering if i am able to do an apprenticeship and then go onto uni to study medicine , is this possible to do?

Unless it involved doing either A levels (unlikely) or a degree (not common), then no. To do medicine you need qualifications because the first part requires a degree and academic ability.

You could do an apprenticeship and then go on to study.

The other warning is that the vast majority of medical schools are very serious about wanting A levels sat in a two year period. They do not like applicants who have taken longer.

If you arent going to cope with A levels now, then imo bail out or at least talk to your teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest