Can i go onto uni with an apprenticeship Watch

kingazbo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering if i am able to do an apprenticeship and then go onto uni to study medicine , is this possible to do?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are you doing an apprenticeship in?
kingazbo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
What are you doing an apprenticeship in?
im currently not doing an apprenticeship im at sixth form but i'm not wanting to stay in sixth form and was wondering what types of apprenticeships i could do if this were possible
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kingazbo)
im currently not doing an apprenticeship im at sixth form but i'm not wanting to stay in sixth form and was wondering what types of apprenticeships i could do if this were possible
The traditional route is doing A-Levels at college and then using that to apply for medicine courses. I feel if you are applying for apprenticeship, you have a certain career in mind already. Sometimes at the end of the apprenticeship, you may be offered a job, so I am not sure how useful it will be if you want to study medicine at university.

I don't know if this is something that might be of help, I had a look on the internet and there are apprenticeships available with the NHS for health related professions if it interests you: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car...-cadet-schemes
kingazbo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
The traditional route is doing A-Levels at college and then using that to apply for medicine courses. I feel if you are applying for apprenticeship, you have a certain career in mind already. Sometimes at the end of the apprenticeship, you may be offered a job, so I am not sure how useful it will be if you want to study medicine at university.

I don't know if this is something that might be of help, I had a look on the internet and there are apprenticeships available with the NHS for health related professions if it interests you: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car...-cadet-schemes
Thank you
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kingazbo)
I was wondering if i am able to do an apprenticeship and then go onto uni to study medicine , is this possible to do?
Unless it involved doing either A levels (unlikely) or a degree (not common), then no. To do medicine you need qualifications because the first part requires a degree and academic ability.

You could do an apprenticeship and then go on to study.

The other warning is that the vast majority of medical schools are very serious about wanting A levels sat in a two year period. They do not like applicants who have taken longer.

If you arent going to cope with A levels now, then imo bail out or at least talk to your teachers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)