Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am shook and finding this super difficult, I'm trying to apply to both Illustration and Computer Games(Art and Animation) but I can't seem to find the right blend and balance between the two when I speak about my achievements, skills, etc. Can anyone help????
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devonindiataylor)
    I am shook and finding this super difficult, I'm trying to apply to both Illustration and Computer Games(Art and Animation) but I can't seem to find the right blend and balance between the two when I speak about my achievements, skills, etc. Can anyone help????
    You can't unfortunately without running the risk of coming across as someone who is confused and hasn't done their research which may lead to rejections all round. You either want to choose one or ask one of your unis if they will accept a separate statement.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds as if you need to write two separate statements. be careful not to end up with plagiarising yourself issues.

ReputationRep:
    idk i guess that will be difficult have fun

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position (mainly computer science but applying to one uni for multimedia) - I emailed the university and they replied a few days later saying that they were fine with me sending a seperate personal statement depends on the uni - how many times are you applying for each of the two courses?

ReputationRep:
    I've done this multiple times (successfully in that I got offers from RGs).

My suggestions:
    • Your two courses need to have at least some overlap, in your case it's the visual aspect of video games. So in every paragraph make it clear you're applying a topic to both the art of video games as well as illustration.
    • To give an example, you can say that for Illustration, you were inspired by (for example) the visual style of Castlevania's gothic art style and that you've tried to emulate it, and that you've learned how effective a range of mediums can be.
    • Don't be afraid to make separate paragraphs for both subjects; have a specifically Illustration one and a specifically Computer Game Art one, if it helps. They're both going to be about art, after all - the reason I say this because for both of your courses, they're going to be aware not every university offers their course and that you will probably apply for a mixture.
    • Overall they'll want to know what experience you have, whether that comes from illustration or video games really. The artistic element is a very important part of it and demonstrates awareness of at least one form of popular culture.
    • Don't talk ONLY about video games art though, so to not run too thin on the Illustration one.

Good luck
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi :hello:

Luckily the two courses you have chosen do not seem to be worlds apart and therefore you may find some overlap to talk about. You may find it useful to divide a piece of paper in two (one side being for illustration and one side Computer Games) and write some points about why you are choosing the course and what interests you most about it. If you can then find similarities between the two that you can expand on.

If you also have some work experience you can use and demonstrate the transferable skills gained such as; organizational, prioritization etc .... this can be used for any course applied for as it says more about the skills you have gained and how this will help you in your studies. Of course if you have any work experience relevant to either of these areas, that would look great on you PS regardless of what you are applying for.

I hope this helps

Ruth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.