Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What percentage of the UK population has a degree? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    A degree does count for a lot, especially in professional professions. It shows that you can form a basic sentence and express yourself using basic English, something that sadly, many school leavers today are unable to do.
    Having seen many graduate job applications, CV and basic things like email communication, a degree does not mean you can form a basic sentence or express yourself clearly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Having seen many graduate job applications, CV and basic things like email communication, a degree does not mean you can form a basic sentence or express yourself clearly.
    I agree. I was under the impression that many employers are becoming more and more disgruntled because graduates keep turning up with degrees but no common sense and being semi-illiterate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    I agree. I was under the impression that many employers are becoming more and more disgruntled because graduates keep turning up with degrees but no common sense and being semi-illiterate.
    And I am sure medieval bishops made the same criticisms when "clerkes of Oxenforde" turned up at their palaces seeking a job in the Church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    What qualifications do you think people who went to polytechnics obtained?
    I understand now why the percentage of the population with a degree never increased since 1992.

However, 30-40 years from now if 35-40% of people graduate from university with a degree doesn't that mean that if the current number of people continuing to go to university is still the same there will be a time in the future when 35-40% of the population between 18-74 will have a degree?

That was what I was thinking of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    The poster to whom I replied seemed to be under the belief that the number of degrees suddenly changed when polytechnics became universities. There is no step change at that point. However a widely published table only includes university degrees (and not the centrally validated CNAA degrees which is what polys awarded) and so there is a break of series when CNAA was abolished and each ex-Poly started awarding its own degrees.

The Polys were less vocational than you might think. The largest philosophy department in the country used to be at Middlesex Poly.
    The number of CNAA degree courses as a proportion of the total courses offered was likely pretty low, certainly at say Napier before it was a university where I think there were only 2 engineering courses accredited as degrees in 1978.

I actually attended one of them for a year, the BSc Technology with Industrial Studies, which was not a bad course, albeit very classroom intensive.(was just not the right course for me, hence I left and then went to Edinburgh)

Most of the courses offered by Napier back then were HNDs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    The number of CNAA degree courses as a proportion of the total courses offered was likely pretty low, certainly at say Napier before it was a university where I think there were only 2 engineering courses accredited as degrees in 1978.

I actually attended one of them for a year, the BSc Technology with Industrial Studies, which was not a bad course, albeit very classroom intensive.(was just not the right course for me, hence I left and then went to Edinburgh)

Most of the courses offered by Napier back then were HNDs
    Although Napier and Glasgow took the name Polytechnic, they were Scottish Central Institutions. They did no teacher training which provided the largest number of students in most of the true Polytechnics in England, Wales and NI and they weren't local authority funded.

It is virtually impossible to find CNAA statistics online but even right at the end Napier seems vastly out of line with what the English Polys was doing

Some random stats. 331 graduates of CNAA in 1968
    99377 students at polys and 232547 at universities enrolled on first degree courses1977 (all years I think)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.