Turn on thread page Beta

WTF was that? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal for the eyes to go red for two seconds, then return to normal?
    I haven't done anything to agitate them, don't have any allergies, yet my eyes went red for two seconds, then back to normal.
    I nearly got a picture, but once I got my camera up, they were back to normal.
    WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED?!
    I caught my reflection in the mirror then ran to get the camera, and I explained the rest.
    Please help!
    Freaking out here!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    VAMPIRE!! Get the garlic!!

joking aside it could have been a massive rush of blood to your eyes maybe?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    I caught my reflection in the mirror then ran to get the camera, and I explained the rest.
    Please help!
    Freaking out here!!!!!!
    You answered your own question !

You most probably caught a reflection of light striking your retina in the mirror when your eye pupils were fully dilated.

This is exactly the same effect as red-eye in photographs under subdued lighting, for which the flash is used briefly to cause the pupil to close before taking the image.

There is nothing wrong with you, but If you are still worried, then do see an optician. I'm convinced they will give you the same explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened again under different lighting conditions.
    Still creeping me out.
    Did a test to find out what was going on, and it said one of the options was something I thought was unlikely, yet makes sense with another test I did.
    Apparently I am possessed!
    Don't believe it, but it makes sense.
    What do you guys think?
    Vlad83
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Still creeping me out.
    Did a test to find out what was going on, and it said one of the options was something I thought was unlikely, yet makes sense with another test I did.
    What do you guys think?
    Vlad83
    Eat lots of garlic and carry a cross around your neck at all times. A hammer and wooden stake is also useful, but you may be stopped by the police for possession with intent.

ReputationRep:
    Still creeping me out.
    What do you guys think?
    Vlad83
    Thanks for tagging me !
    This is the moment, Nunchuck Master, when you find out that you are actually a cyborg ! Sort of like in the Terminator. You were assembled - rather than born.
    Sorry for joking about this buddy ! For real though ...
    Please no worries there. Yes, it went on twice, but still there could be logical explanations here, for example it could just have been a light / lighting effect. In the mirror.
    May I ask, in what way more precisely, did your eyes go red ? As in your eye balls, as in when someone did not sleep enough or was tired etc ? Or was it your pupils actually ? In the latter case, one would probably be more likely to explain it as a lighting effect. Pity that it was not captured on camera, but never mind.
    And if it is OK that I ask, what sort of test / tests have you done, more specifically ? A medical test ? Checking the condition of your eyes ? Your eyes are almost certainly fine, but if you are wondering about all this, it is still worth to examine your eyes with a doctor, one would say - just to make totally sure.
    Sorry I cannot give you any definite or expert explanation about that event, but again please no worries, no worries here at all. Maybe someone would be able to explain it to you in a logical and substantial way. It was nice of you to post about it though !
    You are not wearing any contact lenses, by any chance ? I cannot say difinitely, but possibly - that could have been the cause and reason for that effect. Sorry for some delay with responding.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.