Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was practically raised Christain, (baptist to be exact) and now I have no clue what my religion is. I have been into a lot of mythologies, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, you know, that kinda th8ng. And one thing Ive noticed, they all have at least one simuliar story. I also believe and aliens and other forces, such as ghosts and such. But the thing is, through out mythologies and all modern religions, I have somehow come to believe in all and none at the same time. Due to simuliar stories between mythologies and religions, I have come to the conclusion that they are ALL true in there own way. You know , different representations of the same truth. My qeustion is, am I the only one out there with these beliefs? Is there a name for this belief? If you think the same stuff, please let me know! This would be a good debate topic in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just sounds like a form of paganism or polytheism. Many of the religions of the past were created out of the proximity of people to other religions, leading them to take inspiration and giving other religions a basis for their beliefs. This is seen in the similarities between Roman polytheism, Egyptian polytheism and Greek polytheism. In a way, they are all part of a sort of Mediterranean polytheism, which I guess could be a name for your religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambeaz6)
    I think it's just sounds like a form of paganism or polytheism. Many of the religions of the past were created out of the proximity of people to other religions, leading them to take inspiration and giving other religions a basis for their beliefs. This is seen in the similarities between Roman polytheism, Egyptian polytheism and Greek polytheism. In a way, they are all part of a sort of Mediterranean polytheism, which I guess could be a name for your religion.
    I don't believe any of this by the way but I think it's interesting that you've adopted such beliefs

ReputationRep:
    Alright thank you. Can it really be considered a religion? And are there others out there like me?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe any of this by the way but I think it's interesting that you've adopted such beliefs
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    Yes Our natural disposition is to believe in God, we are not born taking ourselves as God like many do when they grow older. In truth behind all the misconceptions about Islam it's the only monotheist religion submitting to the will of our Creator nothing less , there is feelings you cant describe when you pray make pilgrimage etc not like any other feeling that iv'e heard of from friends from other religions who seem to backtrack a lot and if you take time to learn Arabic and read God addressing mankind you will feel that you can no longer deny the truth , any questions feel free to ask, I pray sincerely God guides you to Islam the truth ameen.

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Theology and I get exactly what you mean and explained this in my personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Fierro)
    Alright thank you. Can it really be considered a religion? And are there others out there like me?
    Maybe there are a few thousand people out there at best with exclusively paganistic beliefs but I'd imagine a good chunk of them are nutters. I know of quite a lot of people though who've adopted their own religious beliefs, even if they're part of a denomination but I can't say I've ever met anyone exactly like you. Even within denominations though, finding someone with the exact same beliefs is uncommon. Everyone has their personal beliefs and you should try talking to people in your nearby religious centres if you're interested in learning about other people's. Never know, might find someone like-minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophtheelf)
    I want to study Theology and I get exactly what you mean and explained this in my personal statement
    Oh cool. Im not alone.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there are a few thousand people out there at best with exclusively paganistic beliefs but I'd imagine a good chunk of them are nutters. I know of quite a lot of people though who've adopted their own religious beliefs, even if they're part of a denomination but I can't say I've ever met anyone exactly like you. Even within denominations though, finding someone with the exact same beliefs is uncommon. Everyone has their personal beliefs and you should try talking to people in your nearby religious centres if you're interested in learning about other people's. Never know, might find someone like-minded.
    Okay then. Thanks for youre help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satnavM)
    Yes Our natural disposition is to believe in God, we are not born taking ourselves as God like many do when they grow older. In truth behind all the misconceptions about Islam it's the only monotheist religion submitting to the will of our Creator nothing less , there is feelings you cant describe when you pray make pilgrimage etc not like any other feeling that iv'e heard of from friends from other religions who seem to backtrack a lot and if you take time to learn Arabic and read God addressing mankind you will feel that you can no longer deny the truth , any questions feel free to ask, I pray sincerely God guides you to Islam the truth ameen.
    Thanks for praying for me.

ReputationRep:
    I also believe and aliens and other forces, such as ghosts and such.
    Please tell me that this is a joke. We're in the 21st century ..

Due to simuliar stories between mythologies and religions, I have come to the conclusion that they are ALL true in there own way. You know , different representations of the same truth.
    Do you have any evidence, or is this just a feeling?

Is there a name for this belief?
    Superstition.

This would be a good debate topic in my opinion.
    Without evidence, it's not going to be much of a debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Please tell me that this is a joke. We're in the 21st century ..

Do you have any evidence, or is this just a feeling?

Superstition.

Without evidence, it's not going to be much of a debate.
    As for the stories, yes I have proof. For an example, read the story of Abraham and the time he almost sacrficed his son, and the story of the golden ram from Greek mythology. Then compare.

ReputationRep:
    Origginally, the Romans did not have exact gods. What they believed in was more of spirits kind of. It was not until the Roman Empire took over the Greeks did these forces start to have bodies and names and such.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you realise the difference between religious 'truth' and the definition of truth we use in everyday life e.g. it my belief that australia exists.

ReputationRep:
    As for the stories, yes I have proof. For an example, read the story of Abraham and the time he almost sacrficed his son, and the story of the golden ram from Greek mythology. Then compare.
    I was asking about your conclusions. Stories being similar doesn't prove anything.

Believe what you want, just know that most people are going to find you, at best, wacky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pagefan)
    I hope you realise the difference between religious 'truth' and the definition of truth we use in everyday life e.g. it my belief that australia exists.
    Yeah, I believe I the difference pretty well. The difference is that most things debated on constantly like religion are not widely considered truth, and that stuff like Australia exists is true, there is no possible way to deny that. Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    I was asking about your conclusions. Stories being similar doesn't prove anything.

Believe what you want, just know that most people are going to find you, at best, wacky.
    If you say so. And I completly accept that People will think im wierd.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like some pagan witches on Youtube who work with godly archetypes for personal growth etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You sound like some pagan witches on Youtube who work with godly archetypes for personal growth etc.
    Okay then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.