Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Fierro)
    Yeah, I believe I the difference pretty well. The difference is that most things debated on constantly like religion are not widely considered truth, and that stuff like Australia exists is true, there is no possible way to deny that. Right?
    nah i'm not referring to the difference in how popular the belief is. (that doesn't matter)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pagefan)
    nah i'm not referring to the difference in how popular the belief is. (that doesn't matter)
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    Are you atheist

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it could be considered gnosticism or polytheism :/?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you say so. And I completly accept that People will think im wierd.
    Do you think that similar stories prove something?

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool. Im not alone.
    Nope you're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshua deslandes)
    Are you atheist
    Not sure, thats what this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    I suppose it could be considered gnosticism or polytheism :/?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Do you think that similar stories prove something?
    Slightly. I think they are manifestations of the same story. Like two different stories tell the same tale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophtheelf)
    Nope you're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly. I think they are manifestations of the same story. Like two different stories tell the same tale.
    The later one could just have copied the earlier one. Are you assuming that there must be some truth behind them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The later one could just have copied the earlier one. Are you assuming that there must be some truth behind them?
    They could have, true, but keep in mind that there is a possibility that these people could have been years apart and not know anything about the other. Yes, I believe there is something behind this.

ReputationRep:
    Omg I am loving your username, Magnus Chase right? Nice to know I'm not the only one loving Rick's interpretations on mythologies

If I'm wrong and you're thinking 'what the hell are you on about' then I apologise for my outburst 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesopotamian.)
    Omg I am loving your username, Magnus Chase right? Nice to know I'm not the only one loving Rick's interpretations on mythologies

If I'm wrong and you're thinking 'what the hell are you on about' then I apologise for my outburst 😅
    Yep, Magnus Chase. Nice to find a fellow fan!

ReputationRep:
    As for the stories, yes I have proof. For an example, read the story of Abraham and the time he almost sacrficed his son, and the story of the golden ram from Greek mythology. Then compare.
    The reason these stories can be found in multiple religions is because religions copy. They aren't usually founded out of an actual faith but out of political interest. If it weren't for religion, Europe would have completely collapsed in the Middle Ages. If one religion has a good story, other religions at the time would take it and people would be none the wiser. Looking at ancient religions in a purely theological light is ignorant of the stront political power each of these religions had. There's a reason why heretics were killed before they could spread new beliefs in the ancient world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambeaz6)
    The reason these stories can be found in multiple religions is because religions copy. They aren't usually founded out of an actual faith but out of political interest. If it weren't for religion, Europe would have completely collapsed in the Middle Ages. If one religion has a good story, other religions at the time would take it and people would be none the wiser. Looking at ancient religions in a purely theological light is ignorant of the stront political power each of these religions had. There's a reason why heretics were killed before they could spread new beliefs in the ancient world
    I completely understand what you are saying, but there were also people who held on to there original beliefs even when they were Prosecuted for it. So at least some were completely faithful to their religions/beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    I just gound out that there is apparently a "new" religion out there "Heathenry". I think it describes me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.