Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I still can’t find work experience , I have tried pharmacy’s, gps, hospitals, NCT and most places say because patient confidentiality, is there anywhere that I can get to do with midwifery. I have tried nct but they haven’t gotten back to me, I have also tried antenatal groups.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meglimb)
    So I still can’t find work experience , I have tried pharmacy’s, gps, hospitals, NCT and most places say because patient confidentiality, is there anywhere that I can get to do with midwifery. I have tried nct but they haven’t gotten back to me, I have also tried antenatal groups.
    Hi, possibly breastfeeding support groups or mother & baby groups, otherwise worth looking at care homes, hospices or St. John ambulance.
    I am an adult nursing student & used to volunteer in the emergency department of my local hospital, so hospitals do take volunteers or take people for work experience, so if you can travel further afield it's worth seeing if you can find a work experience or shadowing day.
    It's okay if you can't get direct midwifery experience, you can just relate the experience you have gained to midwifery.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Some hospitals let you do volunteering- although my local one didn't offer volunteering or work experience unless it was a placement.
    I'd say if you can't get direct experience which a lot of people can't, doing stuff that you can show has helped you develop on midwifery skills (care, compassion, communication etc) which you can discuss at interview/ personal statement is good.
    Mother and baby groups or toddler and mum/ dad groups can be good which community centres often organise, antenatal groups, charities (a friend of mine whose just had a baby is a part of a charity called NCT which could be an option?) and failing that even stuff like volunteering in a care home visiting people because it's using your communication skills with a range of service users and experiences of a care environment.
    Hope that's some kinda use! 😃
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.