Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was going to my sixth form today ( I was on my way to the bus stop) and there was a guy, he was on a bicycle. He asked me this : Do you know that it’s illegal to be as beautiful as you?’ I misheard the first time, but when I heard it, I was confused, I was thinking ‘Am I being catcalled?’ Then he said that I should get his number, but he wasn’t persistent, even though I acted awkwardly and cycled off. It has kind of stayed with me the whole day, I was thinking of why he said that, why did he use those choice of words, what was his motive etc. I made my own theories (I am not bothered to type them. But, I really do want to know : is this catcalling? I know I’m asking this because catcalling is sexually conotated and I have received sexual related catcalling, but I was young at the time and it hasn’t happened since.

ReputationRep:
    So if it is labelled as 'catcalling' that makes it inappropriate? If you didn't see it as offensive or degrading then it wasn't offensive or degrading.

ReputationRep:
    I think he just thought you were nice looking. It isn't catcalling. I would say that is just a compliment.
    Catcalling would be more like "I've seen watermelons smaller than those"
    Edit: you however already know this because you have been catcalled before. i miss read sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deliciate)
    So if it is labelled as 'catcalling' that makes it inappropriate? If you didn't see it as offensive or degrading then it wasn't offensive or degrading.
    Well, catcalling is inappropriate, it usually seen as something jeered in a sexual nature. The definition (source: Oxford dictionaries) is ‘A loud whistle or a comment of a sexual nature made by a man to a passing woman.’

Other than that, thank you for your contribution, otaku. 😉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amullai)
    I think he just thought you were nice looking. It isn't catcalling. I would say that is just a compliment.
    Catcalling would be more like "I've seen watermelons smaller than those"
    Edit: you however already know this because you have been catcalled before. i miss read sorry.
    Oh no, it’s fine! Thank you for your contribution. 🌸😊

ReputationRep:
    hmm sounds like a compliment to me since he thought you looked beautiful ...i would die inside if a girl on a bike said that to me T_T...i'll keep dreaming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    hmm sounds like a compliment to me since he thought you looked beautiful ...i would die inside if a girl on a bike said that to me T_T...i'll keep dreaming!
    Thank you for contribution.😊🌸. I guarantee that you are a beautiful person so don’t worry.

ReputationRep:
    Not really catcalling. It is very forward, of course, but as he wasn't persistent I wouldn't say he did anything wrong. I'd take him at face value; he was attracted to you based on your looks and decided he might as well see if he could get your contact details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by math42)
    Not really catcalling. It is very forward, of course, but as he wasn't persistent I wouldn't say he did anything wrong. I'd take him at face value; he was attracted to you based on your looks and decided he might as well see if he could get your contact details.
    Thank you for your contribution. That’s true, indeed. I’m not the best taker of compliments so I wasn’t surprised that I acted awkwardly and also, I assumed it to be something more degrading.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue it's more of a compliment considering it wasn't really sexual.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    I would argue it's more of a compliment considering it wasn't really sexual.
    Thank you for your contribution.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, this would creep me out. A lot. I, PERSONALLY, would find it offensive and not a compliment. It is all personal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secular_Priest)
    Personally, this would creep me out. A lot. I, PERSONALLY, would find it offensive and not a compliment. It is all personal
    When the guy said that, I was creeped out, that’s why I behaved in an awkward manner. The reason that I do say that it is a compliment is because it was a statement said, that did not intend to hurt me, I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatheO11)
    When the guy said that, I was creeped out, that’s why I behaved in an awkward manner. The reason that I do say that it is a compliment is because it was a statement said, that did not intend to hurt me, I guess?
    I think the reason I wouldn't be greatly happy because there was no reason for that comment other than your physical looks. What did he intend for that comment? That isn't how healthy relationships start. Be it the shape of your face or the size of your breasts, a comment on physical appearance alone, to me, holds a sexual undertone. Even if some are more overt than others.

ReputationRep:
    It is slightly weird, but if he wasn't persistent, then I don't personally think it's that big of a deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secular_Priest)
    I think the reason I wouldn't be greatly happy because there was no reason for that comment other than your physical looks. What did he intend for that comment? That isn't how healthy relationships start. Be it the shape of your face or the size of your breasts, a comment on physical appearance alone, to me, holds a sexual undertone. Even if some are more overt than others.
    That’s what I was thinking. What exactly is the motive behind this person saying it? There’s always a reason, and it was so uncalled for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatheO11)
    I was going to my sixth form today ( I was on my way to the bus stop) and there was a guy, he was on a bicycle. He asked me this : Do you know that it’s illegal to be as beautiful as you?’ I misheard the first time, but when I heard it, I was confused, I was thinking ‘Am I being catcalled?’ Then he said that I should get his number, but he wasn’t persistent, even though I acted awkwardly and cycled off. It has kind of stayed with me the whole day, I was thinking of why he said that, why did he use those choice of words, what was his motive etc. I made my own theories (I am not bothered to type them. But, I really do want to know : is this catcalling? I know I’m asking this because catcalling is sexually conotated and I have received sexual related catcalling, but I was young at the time and it hasn’t happened since.
    Yeah it's probs just a compliment. Catcalling is the worst though, I've experienced it throughout my life and I'm only in 6th form like yeah it just makes me so uncomfortable. Sounds like the guy was being a bit flirty but nice? Idk it depends how he said it, you know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marietherese)
    Yeah it's probs just a compliment. Catcalling is the worst though, I've experienced it throughout my life and I'm only in 6th form like yeah it just makes me so uncomfortable. Sounds like the guy was being a bit flirty but nice? Idk it depends how he said it, you know what I mean?
    I completely understand. I agree, catcalling is completely atrocious behaviour carried out that makes people feel worthless and vulnerable. I don’t know if I’m subconsciously imagining how he said it, but I’m pretty sure he said it partially poetically. I know, weird, but the way the person said it may have some significance, because I don’t know the motive... I don’t know if I’m going on a tangent, sorry. But thanks, for your contribution!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.