Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been suffering with anxiety for about 2 years but I'm not sure if it is anxiety. I use to be really bad and not leave the house in case I did have a panic attack but when other people describe theirs, or when i see them, they're nothing like mine. when I have a 'panic attack' my heart beats really fast, my hands start to tingle and my legs feel really shaky and weak, i also shake a lot. When it's really bad I do tend to faint which is one of the reasons I'm terrified of going outside alone despite being someone who likes to be alone. My mum noticed this a few years back as I'd be too 'ill' to go to school as the bus gave me so much anxiety it was unbearable. She took me to the doctors a lot and they ran multiple tests like blood tests, arm pressure thing even my urine? but they said i was completetly normal. This is the first time I'm really speaking out on this as I've been suffering in silence for a long time and I barely tell my mum the whole story.

if anyone knows if these are actual panic attacks please let me know because i get anxious just thinking about them and if I'm one of those people who pretends to have a mental illness (
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like a panic attack, especially since you have a history of anxiety. What a panic attack feels like to you, might be the polar opposite of what a panic attack feels like to someone else but it is still the same thing - an acute heightened state of high anxiety. I was housebound from agroaphobia and panic attacks years ago, they are horrible. Wouldn't wish a panic attack on my worst enemy.

Did the doctor offer you any help for your anxiety such as meds and/or therapy/self help? If not, it may be worth going back to the doctor for some help regarding your anxiety. What helped me was the works of Dr Claire Weekes. It was her books and audiotapes that got me out of being housebound and having severe panic attacks multiple times a day. I'd recommend checking out her work but as with everything, what helped me might not help you but there are plenty of resources online that can help you manage anxiety but if you haven't recieved any or much help from your doctor, I'd recommend going back for another vist.

Take care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_ponsford)
    I've been suffering with anxiety for about 2 years but I'm not sure if it is anxiety. I use to be really bad and not leave the house in case I did have a panic attack but when other people describe theirs, or when i see them, they're nothing like mine. when I have a 'panic attack' my heart beats really fast, my hands start to tingle and my legs feel really shaky and weak, i also shake a lot. When it's really bad I do tend to faint which is one of the reasons I'm terrified of going outside alone despite being someone who likes to be alone. My mum noticed this a few years back as I'd be too 'ill' to go to school as the bus gave me so much anxiety it was unbearable. She took me to the doctors a lot and they ran multiple tests like blood tests, arm pressure thing even my urine? but they said i was completetly normal. This is the first time I'm really speaking out on this as I've been suffering in silence for a long time and I barely tell my mum the whole story.

if anyone knows if these are actual panic attacks please let me know because i get anxious just thinking about them and if I'm one of those people who pretends to have a mental illness (
    Yes it’s a panic attack and the usual treatment for it would be CBT
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.