Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of it?

Why is it an issue now?

I'm interested to hear what people think of it (For my focus group)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linnnster)
    What do you think of it?

Why is it an issue now?

I'm interested to hear what people think of it (For my focus group)
    Cultural appreciation is good, cultural appropriation is bad, to me.

Nobody would find offence if someone truly appreciates another person's food, lifestyle, language or culture. What annoys people is the subtle or outright mocking of other people's cultures.

For example, why would someone decide to wear a "blackface" or afro wig or asian attribute or cowboy outfit or native indian outfit on halloween?

It is find to appreciate others, just don't mock them.

ReputationRep:
    Depends in what context. However, many people are hypocrites when accusing others of cultural appropriation
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    Depends in what context. However, many people are hypocrites when accusing others of cultural appropriation
    Can you give examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Cultural appreciation is good, cultural appropriation is bad, to me.

Nobody would find offence if someone truly appreciates another person's food, lifestyle, language or culture. What annoys people is the subtle or outright mocking of other people's cultures.

For example, why would someone decide to wear a "blackface" or afro wig or asian attribute or cowboy outfit or native indian outfit on halloween?

It is find to appreciate others, just don't mock them.
    I guess it's difficult to know the difference between appreciation and ignorance perhaps

Like, what does appreciation look like?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's difficult to know the difference between appreciation and ignorance perhaps

Like, what does appreciation look like?
    I saw a woman, who wore an African beaded necklace on the train once. When asked, she said she had visited Kenya and had a great time. I think that shows appreciation of a culture.

Appropriation in a mocking way is when a group of white British persons decide to dress up in an African dress with black faces for halloween then say they are dressing like the guys in the cool runnings movie.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...07.IAneNH_N-9w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    I saw a woman, who wore an African beaded necklace on the train once. When asked, she said she had visited Kenya and had a great time. I think that shows appreciation of a culture.

Appropriation in a mocking way is when a group of white British persons decide to dress up in an African dress with black faces for halloween then say they are dressing like the guys in the cool runnings movie.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...07.IAneNH_N-9w
    So would you say that it's also linked to racism? It's quite similiar to the Dutch "Black Pete" where they also dress up and wear black face paint and act as slaves for St. Nicholas

Sometimes, whenever I see people (E.g. White British) wearing clothes with Chinese characters on them because they think it looks really cool. I really wonder if they know what it means at all and if they can read it... to me I think that's kind of bad
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So would you say that it's also linked to racism? It's quite similiar to the Dutch "Black Pete" where they also dress up and wear black face paint and act as slaves for St. Nicholas

Sometimes, whenever I see people (E.g. White British) wearing clothes with Chinese characters on them because they think it looks really cool. I really wonder if they know what it means at all and if they can read it... to me I think that's kind of bad
    If anyone likes and appreciate other cultures, it is absolutely fine. What people hate is mocking appropriation of any race, religion or culture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.