Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay if my paragraphs aren't separated by blank lines? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently five lines over the 47 line limit which sucks as I wouldn't really like to remove five lines of text. However I've found that if I remove the blank lines in between the paragraphs I'm on the minimum amount of lines. Do you think that is alright? The start of my paragraphs are indented.

If not I'll probably just need to find a way to cut it down.

ReputationRep:
    new blank line needed

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a Tab before each new paragraph if you don't use a line space is sufficient. Ideally you'd just reformat not "cut out." Make your sentences concise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)
    I'm currently five lines over the 47 line limit which sucks as I wouldn't really like to remove five lines of text. However I've found that if I remove the blank lines in between the paragraphs I'm on the minimum amount of lines. Do you think that is alright? The start of my paragraphs are indented.

I didn't put any blank lines between the paragraphs on my personal statement as I was over the line count and university's have been fine with it. It should be okay, just make it clear it is seperate paragraphs with indents to make it easier to read

ReputationRep:
    Paragraphs contribute to the structure of the essay and make it easier to read and also look better. You wouldn't read a established journal or article without paragraphs. I'd say try reading through your essay again to see what you can cut out. And also if its an assignment, you are allowed to go 10% over (confirm with your teacher on that though).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Paragraphs contribute to the structure of the essay and make it easier to read and also look better. You wouldn't read a established journal or article without paragraphs. I'd say try reading through your essay again to see what you can cut out. And also if its an assignment, you are allowed to go 10% over (confirm with your teacher on that though).
    It's a PS not an essay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    Double check the subforum my g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's a PS not an essay...
    (Original post by Wikia)
    Double check the subforum my g
    oops sowiii
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Indents don't appear on UCAS once you submit. The only way to clearly show a new paragraph is to leave a blank line. Often with a bit of condensing/rewording you can make it fit and still be able to have blank lines
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wikia)

You would be surprised how much you can cut down without losing content/meaning.

Go through a sentence at a time. For each sentence try removing one or two words without losing the meaning/sense (but still keeping correct grammar).

PSs tend to be full of extra words because it’s scary to write confidently about yourself. Most people make themselves sound woolly.

Take out the unnecessary words and your PS will be a lot easier to read and get your points across better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.