Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

4 way wheat stone bridge Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know pd between D and C is zero so no current flows from D to C, but can current flow from O to C ie is pd between C O zero? If my thinking is correct , answer should be 5R/6 if each resistor is R, can someone please explain it for me?
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvan15)
    .....can current flow from O to C ie is pd between C O zero?
    Hi,

It's worthwhile attempting to redraw circuits of this nature to make analysis a little more intuitive:

Name:  Resistor matrix001.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  252.9 KB

You should now see that there are three potential dividers in parallel which means the mid points of the dividers (C, O, D) must all be at the same voltage potential if all of the resistors are identical.

Consequently, no current flows between any combination of those C, O and D junctions.

The effective resistance between A and B then becomes:

2R || 2R || 2R

R_{AB} = \left{[}\frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R}\right{]}^{-1}

R_{AB} = \frac{2R}{3}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Hi,

It's worthwhile attempting to redraw circuits of this nature to make analysis a little more intuitive:

Name:  Resistor matrix001.jpg
Size:  252.9 KB

You should now see that there are three potential dividers in parallel which means the mid points of the dividers (C, O, D) must all be at the same voltage potential if all of the resistors are identical.

Consequently, no current flows between any combination of those C, O and D junctions.

The effective resistance between A and B then becomes:

2R || 2R || 2R

R_{AB} = \left{[}\frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R}\right{]}^{-1}

R_{AB} = \frac{2R}{3}
    Name:  Sketch.png
Size:  290.9 KB
    thanks for the explanation, so my idea doesnt work because p.d beween C O is the same?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvan15)
    thanks for the explanation, so my idea doesnt work because p.d beween C O is the same?
    Because there are three potential dividers between A and B, the potential difference developed at the midpoint (C, O and D) of those dividers respectively, when referenced to either A or B, must all be at exactly the same potential.

Which means the potential difference between CO or OD or CD must all be zero. No current can flow and therefore the single resistors directly connected between CO or OD, can be eliminated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.