Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 A Levels. Mathematics, Physics and Business Studies. Are these 3 subjects part of the entry requirement? They say general studies and critical thinking is not accepted. What does this mean? Which subjects are included in critical thinking and general studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aghst9946)
    I have 3 A Levels. Mathematics, Physics and Business Studies. Are these 3 subjects part of the entry requirement? They say general studies and critical thinking is not accepted. What does this mean? Which subjects are included in critical thinking and general studies?
    Yes, those are accepted subjects.

You should be able to get onto most (if not all) CS courses as you have an A-Level in Mathematics (depending on your grades, of course).

re: Critical Thinking and General Studies, they're the names of subjects that aren't accepted. Not a group of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to admission to UK colleges? Will colleges in the UK accept these 3 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to admission to UK colleges? Will colleges in the UK accept these 3 subjects?
    Yes.

By college you mean a university to do your undergraduate degree, correct?

I'm currently on an MEng Electronics & Computer Science course at Edinburgh if that provides any weight to my answer regarding whether or not your subject choices are acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am talking about undergraduate studies. I have just completed my A Levels in High School with the 3 subjects(Math, Physics, Business Studies).
    As you study in the UK, are you sure these match the requirements

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am talking about undergraduate studies. I have just completed my A Levels in High School with the 3 subjects(Math, Physics, Business Studies).
    As you study in the UK, are you sure these match the requirements
    Yes. I'm certain. None of those subjects are blacklisted on ANY UK CS programme. Your three A-Levels are perfectly legitimate.

Although you still need to make sure your grades in those subjects are high enough to gain an offer from your desired university.

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying Computer Science in the University Of Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying Computer Science in the University Of Edinburgh?
    Indeed. First year.

I have some Electronics modules in my degree too as officially I'm doing Electronics and Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    You simply have to read the entry requirements on the course page for the universities you are interested in applying to. If you cannot comprehend what is written on their entry requirements section, maybe university in the UK isn't for you. They may list preferred or required subjects, as well as certain ones they do not accept, as mentioned by both yourself and @Blue_Cow. If a course is not listed as either, you can assume it is fine to have.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, That was a bit rude. I'm just curious and i don't know anything about this stuff. I just want your guy's help as you are elder and experienced. You don't have to get angry as I mean no harm

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, That was a bit rude. I'm just curious and i don't know anything about this stuff. I just want your guy's help as you are elder and experienced. You don't have to get angry as I mean no harm
    We're certainly not that much older if you already have A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    In the University Of Edinburgh, will they accept those 3 subjects for their Computer Science BSc course?
    It is appropriate to ask you as you study in that university. Could you please find out, it would really mean a lot

ReputationRep:
    In the University Of Edinburgh, will they accept those 3 subjects for their Computer Science BSc course?
    It is appropriate to ask you as you study in that university. Could you please find out, it would really mean a lot
    They do accept those subjects

Typical offer is AAA
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    how many yes's do you need until you're satisfied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So they are ready to take people with only 3 subjects , and ready to take my combination which is math , physics and business studies

ReputationRep:
    I dont need computer science or chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Indeed. First year.

I have some Electronics modules in my degree too as officially I'm doing Electronics and Computer Science.
    If you don't mind me asking:

What made you to choose this course over an electronics only course.

What grades did you get at A level?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So they are ready to take people with only 3 subjects , and ready to take my combination which is math , physics and business studies
    Taking three A-Levels in the UK is quite common.

I dont need computer science or chemistry?
    Nope. Chemistry isn't relevant so it isn't required. The only compulsory subject is mathematics (which you have). CS A-Level is not required because they teach the course from the absolute fundamentals, and also because the provision of pre-university CS education is **** and not widely available.

ReputationRep:
    What grades did you get, and where are you wanting to study?

Have you decided against doing a Masters?

ReputationRep:
    thats so true. in our school, there is no such thing as computer science until the Grade 11 which is AS Level

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.