Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school told me to drop maths A level and told me to do AS maths, I also do product design A- level and double engineering as tech level which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, what Engineering curse will I be able to do? And what universities accept AS maths?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you dropping maths? Most unis will ask for a level maths. Drop product design instead.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Student-95;74497766]Why are you dropping maths? Most unis will ask for a level maths. Drop product design instead.[/QUOT
    I think maths A-level is too hard but I want to do AS maths so I can atleast do engineering
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Dropping maths isn't a good idea if you want to study engineering. I'm sure most courses require a full A-level or equivalent in maths, although there might be some exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    most of the best unis that offer engineering require a-level maths...plus if it's too hard now your going to be in for a shock if you actually DO study engineering ..since a lot of math is involved! >_< i would drop the product design instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    most of the best unis that offer engineering require a-level maths...plus if it's too hard now your going to be in for a shock if you actually DO study engineering ..since a lot of math is involved! >_< i would drop the product design instead.
    Basically I'm in year 12, and I went to maths A-level lessons and it's hard for me, so the teachers said I can revise AS maths in year 12 and do the AS maths exam in the end of year 13,
    But I will be doing double engineering and product design, but what courses will I be able to do and what unis will accept AS maths

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, unis will either want the full A level or not be fussed. An AS level just puts you at a point where it's like: Why didn't you do the full A level?

It would likely also preclude you from any foundation years.

I'd say stick with the full A level, and if you do end up doing badly, take it over 3 years. Otherwise you're going to limit your university choices massively or you will have to do the foundation year in which case you're learning higher level (albeit less) Maths in a much shorter time frame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    From what I've seen, unis will either want the full A level or not be fussed. An AS level just puts you at a point where it's like: Why didn't you do the full A level?

It would likely also preclude you from any foundation years.

I'd say stick with the full A level, and if you do end up doing badly, take it over 3 years. Otherwise you're going to limit your university choices massively or you will have to do the foundation year in which case you're learning higher level (albeit less) Maths in a much shorter time frame.
    I want to do maths full A-level buts it's just too hard for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justinsanju4)
    Basically I'm in year 12, and I went to maths A-level lessons and it's hard for me, so the teachers said I can revise AS maths in year 12 and do the AS maths exam in the end of year 13,
    But I will be doing double engineering and product design, but what courses will I be able to do and what unis will accept AS maths
    You'd have to look for unis that don't require maths at all. Those that do will want A level maths.

That said, if you find A level maths hard then you seriously need to rethink your degree choice. Engineering is mostly maths so it seems like an odd choice.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justinsanju4)
    My school told me to drop maths A level and told me to do AS maths, I also do product design A- level and double engineering as tech level which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, what Engineering curse will I be able to do? And what universities accept AS maths?
    Why do you want to study Engineering at university? There's a lot of maths, and you will certainly be covering topics from A-level and beyond at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.