The Student Room Group

Engineering

My school told me to drop maths A level and told me to do AS maths, I also do product design A- level and double engineering as tech level which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, what Engineering curse will I be able to do? And what universities accept AS maths?
Why are you dropping maths? Most unis will ask for a level maths. Drop product design instead.
Original post by Student-95
Why are you dropping maths? Most unis will ask for a level maths. Drop product design instead.[/QUOT
I think maths A-level is too hard but I want to do AS maths so I can atleast do engineering
Dropping maths isn't a good idea if you want to study engineering. I'm sure most courses require a full A-level or equivalent in maths, although there might be some exceptions.
Reply 4
most of the best unis that offer engineering require a-level maths...plus if it's too hard now your going to be in for a shock if you actually DO study engineering ..since a lot of math is involved! >_< i would drop the product design instead.
Original post by Froppy
most of the best unis that offer engineering require a-level maths...plus if it's too hard now your going to be in for a shock if you actually DO study engineering ..since a lot of math is involved! >_< i would drop the product design instead.

Basically I'm in year 12, and I went to maths A-level lessons and it's hard for me, so the teachers said I can revise AS maths in year 12 and do the AS maths exam in the end of year 13,
But I will be doing double engineering and product design, but what courses will I be able to do and what unis will accept AS maths
From what I've seen, unis will either want the full A level or not be fussed. An AS level just puts you at a point where it's like: Why didn't you do the full A level?

It would likely also preclude you from any foundation years.

I'd say stick with the full A level, and if you do end up doing badly, take it over 3 years. Otherwise you're going to limit your university choices massively or you will have to do the foundation year in which case you're learning higher level (albeit less) Maths in a much shorter time frame.
Original post by Helloworld_95
From what I've seen, unis will either want the full A level or not be fussed. An AS level just puts you at a point where it's like: Why didn't you do the full A level?

It would likely also preclude you from any foundation years.

I'd say stick with the full A level, and if you do end up doing badly, take it over 3 years. Otherwise you're going to limit your university choices massively or you will have to do the foundation year in which case you're learning higher level (albeit less) Maths in a much shorter time frame.

I want to do maths full A-level buts it's just too hard for me
Original post by Justinsanju4
Basically I'm in year 12, and I went to maths A-level lessons and it's hard for me, so the teachers said I can revise AS maths in year 12 and do the AS maths exam in the end of year 13,
But I will be doing double engineering and product design, but what courses will I be able to do and what unis will accept AS maths

You'd have to look for unis that don't require maths at all. Those that do will want A level maths.

That said, if you find A level maths hard then you seriously need to rethink your degree choice. Engineering is mostly maths so it seems like an odd choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Justinsanju4
My school told me to drop maths A level and told me to do AS maths, I also do product design A- level and double engineering as tech level which is equivalent to 2 A-levels, what Engineering curse will I be able to do? And what universities accept AS maths?

Why do you want to study Engineering at university? There's a lot of maths, and you will certainly be covering topics from A-level and beyond at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest