Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m hoping someone can advise. Current third year thinking of switching to another course at the same uni, year 2 but only need to do semester 2.

I would be leaving my course with immediate effect and starting back at the new course in January.

What would happen re finance already received in September? Would I have to pay any back? If so, would it be immediately?

Help?!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julie197010)
    I’m hoping someone can advise. Current third year thinking of switching to another course at the same uni, year 2 but only need to do semester 2.

I would be leaving my course with immediate effect and starting back at the new course in January.

What would happen re finance already received in September? Would I have to pay any back? If so, would it be immediately?

Help?!
    Hi Julie197010,

If you are withdrawing from your current course with immediate effect, you will be reassesed on a pro rata basis, up until that date.

Once the university advise us of your withdrawal, you will be reassesed and advised of your entitlement, if you have been overpaid then you will be sent a letter to advise, how much and a number to call to make arrangements to repay.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Julie197010,

If you are withdrawing from your current course with immediate effect, you will be reassesed on a pro rata basis, up until that date.

Once the university advise us of your withdrawal, you will be reassesed and advised of your entitlement, if you have been overpaid then you will be sent a letter to advise, how much and a number to call to make arrangements to repay.

Regards Rona
    Thank you, Rona.

I was advised differently last night when I called the SFE helpline - that it would not affect my funding at all. I was told the reason for this was that I am still completing a year at university, regardless of what course I’m on.

Would I need to call again to clarify?

I was informed that my transfer form won’t be processed for 31 days which would take us up to the new semester when I will be starting my new course.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, Rona.

I was advised differently last night when I called the SFE helpline - that it would not affect my funding at all. I was told the reason for this was that I am still completing a year at university, regardless of what course I’m on.

Would I need to call again to clarify?

I was informed that my transfer form won’t be processed for 31 days which would take us up to the new semester when I will be starting my new course.

Thanks!

Hi Julie197010,

If you are transfering into the same year of study it does not affect your future support.

If you have any previous study we will use that in calculating your future support.

If you have transferred/withdrawn from a course in order to start a new course in the same Academic Year, you will be entitled to claim support for both courses.

You can receive a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants appropriate for the period you attended the 1st course, plus a full year of support for the new course.

This will count as 2 years of support when calculating your future entitlement to support.

However, this will be subject to the previous study rule to determine if you will be eligible to receive the support for both periods.

Just a few questions to help you better understand this.

Can you clarify that your university is transferring you rather than withdrawing you from your current course ?

Secondly can you confirm that this is the first time you are having to repeat study, as you said that you are entering year two again in the second semester ?

Finally, prior to this course have you had any previous study or repeated any years in your current course ?

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Julie197010,

If you are transfering into the same year of study it does not affect your future support.

If you have any previous study we will use that in calculating your future support.

If you have transferred/withdrawn from a course in order to start a new course in the same Academic Year, you will be entitled to claim support for both courses.

You can receive a Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants appropriate for the period you attended the 1st course, plus a full year of support for the new course.

This will count as 2 years of support when calculating your future entitlement to support.

However, this will be subject to the previous study rule to determine if you will be eligible to receive the support for both periods.

Just a few questions to help you better understand this.

Can you clarify that your university is transferring you rather than withdrawing you from your current course ?

Secondly can you confirm that this is the first time you are having to repeat study, as you said that you are entering year two again in the second semester ?

Finally, prior to this course have you had any previous study or repeated any years in your current course ?

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona,

Apologies for the confusion. The university is transferring me from the third year of my current course to second semester, second year of my new course. This is the first time I’m repeating any of my studies and I have no previous study other than an access course at college.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Julie

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,

Apologies for the confusion. The university is transferring me from the third year of my current course to second semester, second year of my new course. This is the first time I’m repeating any of my studies and I have no previous study other than an access course at college.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Julie
    Hi Julie197010,

Thanks for that information.

Can I ask how long is your new course?

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Julie197010,

Can I ask how long is your new course?

Regards Rona
    It’s a three year course but I’m starting midway through year 2 so will graduate in 2019.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It’s a three year course but I’m starting midway through year 2 so will graduate in 2019.

Thanks!

On the understanding that the new course is not a January start, it would normally start in September and you are just entering midway and you have not repeated any years previous and no previous study, your payments will continue on processing the transfer from your university.

Your payments will continue for the remainder of the course, but if you have to repeat any year in the future, you would receive a maintenance loan only without evidence of mitigating circumstances.

Regards Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.