Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm Gribby2. This is my study blog, which I hope to update frequently as I study for my four A-levels: History, French, Psychology, and Chemistry. I'm interested in studying French and Russian at university (though Psychology and/or Philosophy are also possibilities, or maybe even Archaeology). I'll also try to include any study tips if I find methods that work for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gribby2)
    Hello, I'm Gribby2. This is my study blog, which I hope to update frequently as I study for my four A-levels: History, French, Psychology, and Chemistry. I'm interested in studying French and Russian at university (though Psychology and/or Philosophy are also possibilities, or maybe even Archaeology). I'll also try to include any study tips if I find methods that work for me.
    Awesome choice of A levels! I did History and AS psychology myself
    Also, hell yes Archaeology; it's what I'm currently applying for!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    That's a great combination - what made you sway towards a French and Russian degree? I know you're still undecided but I'm interested to know what gave you the inspiration to consider that route

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Awesome choice of A levels! I did History and AS psychology myself
    Also, hell yes Archaeology; it's what I'm currently applying for!
    Thanks. How are your A-levels going? Good luck with applying for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    That's a great combination - what made you sway towards a French and Russian degree? I know you're still undecided but I'm interested to know what gave you the inspiration to consider that route
    Thanks. I really enjoyed French at GCSE, and it was the subject I did best in. I generally quite enjoy essay-based subjects (I used to love English, until my GCSE teacher completely put me off it ), so that was a factor which contributed. Initially, I became interested in doing a languages degree when researching Cambridge courses- my school had arranged a talk with some students from Kings for a few of us with high GCSE predictions, and I thought I should do some research beforehand. Their Modern and Medieval Languages course sounded interesting, and I looked up other unis offering similar courses. I thought I'd quite like to study two languages, as I thought it'd be more varied. I was, at first, quite keen on the idea of French and Ancient Greek, but I wanted to learn a little of the language before uni applications, and I couldn't find many resources for learning Ancient Greek. As for why I chose Russian, I must admit it was largely down to watching Star Trek (the original series) and finding Chekov quite amusing (especially when he gets tortured, which makes me sound really sadistic, but it's just the way he screams ). It's a terrible reason. Still, since starting A-level History, I've developed an interest in Russian culture-particularly during the 19th century. I'm currently trying to self-teach Russian using Duolingo, but the app keeps crashing and deleting my progress for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    I really ought to have started this blog in September, but since I was- as ever- highly disorganised (I've got a file-check tomorrow, and I've only sorted 2/5 folders- my teachers are awestruck by quite how messy my notes manage to be (I have a strange way with paper, which means the pages almost invariably curl up at the corners)), I shall merely start this entry with a brief overview of my sixth-form experience to date:
    I do not feel as though I am mature enough to be in sixth-form. In some ways, I'm probably more mature than many of my peers (certainly more so than many of the lads in my year), but I must admit to occasionally watching the odd episode of 'Thunderbirds' or 'Stingray.
    I've settled in quite well in History and Psychology (though I have no prior experience of the latter, aside from having conducted a wholly unscientific ink blotch test on my friends once, when somebody in my GCSE Chemistry class smashed a boiling tube of some peculiar black solution in the floor- much to the chargin of my teacher). I'm enjoying French, but it has been quite a step up from GCSE, and I find the grammar a tad difficult. Chemistry is too much like maths for my liking currently, though I enjoy parts of it.
    I have two French mentees now, both of whom seem very nice, but alas do not seem to care whether they succeed or not- I feel I'm going to have my work cut out.

Today, I had History first. It was moderately uneventful, but quite enjoyable- we watched a documentary. Second, was French. I have three French teachers, which does lead to somewhat of an overload of homework, but I think I managed to escape quite lightly today. I fear the topic of discussion in today's lesson slightly riled some of my friends, but it wasn't too bad. This was followed by a study period, which was quite tedious. They're essentially frees, only you have to go to a designated room and are banned from speaking. More History was fourth, and I succeeded in causing much hilarity by inadvertently swearing (a word I use in a perfectly innocent sense turns out to have another meaning I was completely unaware of until today). Fortunately, my teacher seemed to realise it was accidental, though he did tease me for it somewhat. Last, was a Chemistry test. Suffice to say it was hardly high-octane.
    I suuceeded in getting out of form today by virtue of the fact I'm taking four subjects, do don't have to do an EPQ (which was the topic of discussion today). As such, I got home early. I watched some of a French TV show called 'The Disappearance,' which probably wouldn't usually be my cup of tea, but it's actually quite interesting, and useful for improving my French.
    I hope you're all well. I'll be off to watch some French YouTube Videos, or I might get distracted hanging around on TSR. Who knows?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. How are your A-levels going? Good luck with applying for uni.
    Oh, I finished my A levels last year and I'm currently having a gap year. I got ABC overall, with the A in history!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    Oh, I finished my A levels last year and I'm currently having a gap year. I got ABC overall, with the A in history!
    Well done. Are you doing anything interesting during your gap year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well done. Are you doing anything interesting during your gap year?
    Not really? It's mainly working to earn a little bit to reduce how much I'll need to borrow and all that jazz. Plus it's gaining some job experience for my CV etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I haven't posted in awhile- I've been quite down these last few days (my cat got run over in September, and I've been missing him a lot lately). Not a lot has happened, though, so you haven't missed much .
    I had a Psychology test on Friday, which I found harder than my last one, as I didn't think there was enough information in some of the questions to answer them fully (I was probably just being blind). It was the second test of the week, as I had a Chemistry test on Thursday, which I completely forgot to mention.
    Fortunately, I've managed to escape fairly lightly on the homework front this weekend, so I've had time to watch some of 'The Disappearance' and play with our new kitten, who is currently making little catty snores and being adorable. I still need to write a French essay though, and research the new French GCSE so that I can prepare some activities for my mentees to do.
    Hope you are well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. How are you? I've had quite a good day today. First was Paychology. We read and highlighted a summary sheet for half an hour (probably more like twenty/twenty-five minutes for me, since I was late ). Then my teacher had to go off to some meeting, so my friends and I went up to the library. Then I had History, which was not too arduous, as it was mainly making notes from a PowerPoint. Third was Psychology again. We got our test results back, and things were... interesting. On the one hand, I got the best in the class, on the other hand, I still only got a D. I am conscious this makes my school sound quite bad, but I got an A (with A being the highest you could get on that particular paper, though we're not actually doing AS (I think it was an old AS paper though)) on my last Psychology test, so it's not as if the teaching is terrible or anything. Again we got out early (by 15 minutes this time). Chemistry was next, and we did something that I could- for the most part atleast- actually do, which makes a change given how much complex maths we've had to do recently. Finally, it was French. I enjoyed the lesson, but if another impertinent little Year 7 gets sent into our lesson, I think I may actually murder them. All of the most distruptive children seem to get sent into my classes, and it's really frustrating.

My French mentees never showed up on Monday, so I'll have to e-mail them. I've thought of some ideas of stuff to do with them. I'm going to get them to write short stories/poems in French. I thought of something else for them to do as well, but it's completely escaped my mind. I should have written it down.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Sorry it's been a few days since I wrote anything here, but I've been ill lately. I was off school yesterday, but I was back today.
    I didn't have to go in until second lesson today, as I had a free, which meant I could actually wake up at a reasonable a time for once. I collected my exam GCSE certificates at break. Then I had a study period, and I did some Psychology homework, before getting bored part way through and doodling. Some of the Year 10s were being highly irritating, and it was quite amusing watching my friends attempting to discourage them to little avail, but I fear it'll be my turn next if they try again, and I doubt I'll be any more effectual. I had another free after lunch, in which I attempted to revise for my Psychology test, but mainly got distracted by my friend, who was playing a word search type game on her phone (or it could've been her iPad), and was asking for help when she got stuck. The Psychology test was last. And I don't think it went too badly, but I'm not sure.
    After school, I sent an email to my future self at FutureMe.org (?), which is quite good in terms of motivating yourself in the future with your studies. I've sent them a few times.
    I've got quite a bit of work to catch-up on from yesterday, and some other bits and bobs, but hopefully I'll get to update.
    I've finished watching 'The Disappearance,' which I'd recommend to any students of French- it's quite interesting- and am now watching 'The Bureau,' which has been quite enjoyable so far (even if the DvD makes me sit through a year of adverts before I can actually watch the show.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.