Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What percentage of people would like to go back to Victorian London? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If given the opportunity, what percentage of people would like to get into a time machine and go straight back to Victorian London?

ReputationRep:
    As a black guy, yeah no thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    anyone who did would quickly regret it.

But

That's not to say that we should presume that in every aspect we are on the path of continual positive progress. There are some things from the Victorian time that I admire and would like to see again, but they are easily outweighed by the vast vast majority of cases where progress has been made.

(If I did go back, it almost certainly would not be to london though - cities back then were dire. Head out to a smaller city or large country estate if you have the means)

ReputationRep:
    HELL YESSS, but without all the racism and sexism a way LOL ...

not to stay but just to experience cuz i know it was actually a very difficult time. unless you were filthy rich but even then....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it would be great picking up all those diseases that have been eradicated.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah - poverty, slow transport, no form of entertainment, no tv, no internet, kids were chimney sweepers, illnesses were rife, serial killings, abuse and rapes were frequent and never solved, the plague was around with no cures, no form of contraception, most medical breakthrough hadn't even been discovered yet therefore the average life expectancy of men and women was 45... sounds heavenly, heck where do I sign up(!)

ReputationRep:
    would you? if yes whats your reason for wanting to go back?? lemme guess you think it was a 'simpler time' just because it was all white and women were housewives??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goggleyed)
    would you? if yes whats your reason for wanting to go back?? lemme guess you think it was a 'simpler time' just because it was all white and women were housewives??
    That better describes life in the 50s. Sexism and racism wouldn't really have been as relevant because life was pretty crappy for all poor people. Many women turned to prostitution because they didn't have a lot of options. Even if you were better off, there were still a lot of nasty illnesses around. No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    About 1.2% at the last General Election as they voted UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    No. You may think things were better in the past but you've been brought up in the modern world and are looking at the past with rose-tinted spectacles on. Very few people would enjoy going back into the past to the 'good times'.

Also, I have dark skin so no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imzy010)
    HELL YESSS, but without all the racism and sexism a way LOL ...

not to stay but just to experience cuz i know it was actually a very difficult time. unless you were filthy rich but even then....
    There wasn't much racism as there were very few non-white people in Britain at the time. Sexism worked both ways e.g. on the Titanic, the women had priority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greymalkin)
    There wasn't much racism as there were very few non-white people in Britain at the time. Sexism worked both ways e.g. on the Titanic, the women had priority.
    yh actually that's SOOO TRUE !! both men and women had certain gendered benefits.. i think i would want to go then haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeze)
    As a black guy, yeah no thanks lol
    People would problem through you were a doctor a lot black people Victorian London were Middle Class. There were very few working class black people in Victorian London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.