Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seems sometimes to good to be true. Couldn't they just rescind the offer if a student who has an unconditional offer gets rubbish grades?

How does an unconditional really work anyway? Do you have to sign anything?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by The1AndOnly1)
    Seems sometimes to good to be true. Couldn't they just rescind the offer if a student who has an unconditional offer gets rubbish grades?

How does an unconditional really work anyway? Do you have to sign anything?
    No. The only condition is you complete any qualification you say you are taking on your UCAS application. i.e. you sit the A-level (or equivalent) exams. The grades you get don't matter (to the university, but do matter for any future employer, etc...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    No. The only condition is you complete any qualification you say you are taking on your UCAS application. i.e. you sit the A-level (or equivalent) exams. The grades you get don't matter (to the university, but do matter for any future employer, etc...)
    Hi,

Thanks for our reply, is there a deadline to accept this offer? And how come on UCAS even though I got an unconditional the offer says conditional?

Additionally, I originally asked his question because someone said that any uni can rescind the offer if you get rubbish grades nonetheless or everyone else does better than you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...heme-2018.aspx

'What if the applicant doesn’t get the predicted grades?

We will still accept them – an unconditional offer is just that, unconditional. We are demonstrating our belief in the applicant and we expect that the applicant will repay that confidence by continuing to work hard and achieve good grades'.

But as it has already been pointed out, A level grades still matter for you, personally, beyond their role in getting you a place at university.

Why don't you think you are going to achieve your predicted grades?

Re the offer still showing as 'conditional' on UCAS, the 'condition' Birmingham will have applied, I assume, is that you need to make UOB your firm choice, if you want them to make their offer unconditional? So until you do that, it won't change on UCAS - and it will take a while for it to change.

ReputationRep:
    Once you Firm it, it is genuinely unconditional. It cannot revoked if you perform poorly at A level.
    For you future job prospects though, you should still aim to get the best grades you can as many employers will look at them when recruiting.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.