Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    so i'm thinking of becoming a pediatrician- currently in year 11. But the one thing putting me off is how hard it is and i'm worried that i wont get into medical school. Anyone in medical school, or someone going into the same field as me, any guidance would be very much appreciated. I'm looking to go into babies/infants pediatrician.

Thank you very much in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentStudy)
    Hi,
    so i'm thinking of becoming a pediatrician- currently in year 11. But the one thing putting me off is how hard it is and i'm worried that i wont get into medical school. Anyone in medical school, or someone going into the same field as me, any guidance would be very much appreciated. I'm looking to go into babies/infants pediatrician.

If medicine is truly what you want to do, then the hard work should be worth it. It's true that most medical students do have at least 5A*s (or 8s now I guess), but you can still get into good universities if your GCSEs aren't great. The key thing is that you try and get the best grades you can so you have a lot of options open to you.

If you don't get the grades (though you shouldn't really worry about this until around halfway through year 12 to be honest as there's plenty of time to improve) there are several other paths that could still work for you. You could look at being a child nurse or a midwife if you know that you definitely want to work with children.

It may be useful to get some work experience in a hospital (even though you likely won't be able to get any in paediatrics) so that you can see if it is truly something you want to spend years training for. Alternatively, try getting some experience with children - in a nursery, pre-school or even better somewhere like a special needs school. If you do choose to apply for medicine or child nursing this will show your dedication to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentStudy)
    Hi,

Hey! I am also interested in going into pediatrics and have applied this year. I have also wanted to study medicine for certain since around yr9/10!
    Some tips I would have are:

- Just focus on doing the best you can in GCSEs and A-Levels and everything else will fall into place - don't think of it like it's so much hard work - think of it more as a challenge that you can overcome.

- The other thing I've realised over the past few years is that it's best to focus on the hurdle that is right in front of you - in your case this is your GCSEs. Your next step will be AS levels (or end of year exams for predictions), then admissions tests, then your application, then A-Levels, then med school (hopefully :-) !) Whilst its good to have an interest in a particular field, I feel that it becomes less stressful if you take each step as it comes rather than thinking that you have to get to a certain point. You won't need to decide on a speciality until a few years after med school!

- Don't be put off by the challenge!!!

- Start early with finding work experience in care home/nursery/hospital/GP if possible (you may be restricted in some areas due to age restrictions). This will give you a good idea of whether you definitely want to work in the caring sector.

- I've also found it very useful to talk to other people in my school who are applying and we've formed a close group. During application time, we've all been giving each other advice and finding WEX for each other! Certainly find people with the same interests as you!

Good luck with everything!!! :-)

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Medicin wiki and The Medic Portal website, to name two, are full of the information you'll need. One skill you'll need to learn from the beginning of your journey is to do your own research via google.

ReputationRep:
    Don't plug for a specific speciality so early. Yes you like children, but there are more things to consider. Most med students change their minds many times, and that is especially true of paediatrics. Things like having to stab multiple children every day whilst they scream and beg you to stop, dealing with over-anxious parents, and dealing with horrific abuse cases really gets you thinking about your future career!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.