Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting counselling tomorrow HELP Watch

So, got my first counselling session tomorrow. Don't really know what to expect, I'm v scared. Do I only talk about mental health issues, or other stuff too? Do i have to like get in and lead the discussion cuz I don't know what to say!!! Any advice/personal experience would be much appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, got my first counselling session tomorrow. Don't really know what to expect, I'm v scared. Do I only talk about mental health issues, or other stuff too? Do i have to like get in and lead the discussion cuz I don't know what to say!!! Any advice/personal experience would be much appreciated...
    Don't be scared. It'll be them mostly asking you questions and you don't need to feel the need to initiate the conversation unless you really want to. Just answer whenever they ask you a specific question. On the first session it's less likely to be straight on personal. It'll probably be stuff like about you but not on a personal level though. Don't be scared. Just think of it this way..

This person is a stranger who you're speaking to. They will not judge you in anyway because they don't know you as a person. Feel free to speak. Don't restrict yourself. Be yourself with them and hopefully everything will go good.

Best of luck for your session. 👍🏼
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Hey there,
    Obviously all counsellors are different and will carry out their sessions differently depending on why you’re there.
    From experience I would say that counsellors tend to ask very open ended questions which allow you to say as much as you want or are comfortable with. We would talk about anything that happened in my life, my past, good things, bad things and she was there to help me with things I struggled with everyday as well as more serious mental health issues. They should incorporate anything you want to discuss, even if you might think they won’t want to hear about it (eg. “I got an A on a test last week”).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.