Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance not approved for previous year Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I applied for student finance for the previous academic year (16/17) and everything went fine, I sent all the documentation and it was approved. I finished my 2nd year of uni and didn't have any problem with student finance. Today I received an email from my uni saying this:
    STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND ASSESSMENT REPORT TUITION FEE AY 2016/17

ACCOUNT BALANCE £9000We are writing in regard to your Student Funding. We have been informed by ‘Student Finance’ that they are not funding you for the above mentioned academic year/s and you are liable to pay the fee of £9000. The payment is now overdue and immediate payment is required to bring your account back in line with University of Bedfordshire fee policy."

I went on the student finance website to check the payments and all the info for the year 16/17 was missing.

I'm currently in my third and final year and student finance has approved my funding for this year.

Will I be able to apply again for the previous year of 16/17? Has this happened to any of you before?

ReputationRep:
    Saying what? I think you missed a part out ;-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishTeaCup)
    Saying what? I think you missed a part out ;-)
    Don't know what happened with the rest of the text. I've edited it now, thanks for letting me know!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any correspondence from SFE when you applied telling you that your loan was approved? Letters, emails, digital screenshots from inside your account?

You need to gather as much evidence as you can together showing that you had applied and been approved, contact your University to let them know that you had been and that you’re going to contact SFE as soon as you possibly can and then question them as to why they haven’t paid when you signed the contract with them.

Also, I would log into your student loans company account and check your balance to see if it has accounted for the last year, if they’re charging you it but haven’t paid it then there’s definitely something fishy going on.

1) gather as much evidence as you can from when you applied
    2) contact your uni and let them know what’s happening
    3) contact SFE and question them constantly until they figure out what’s happened.

Hope this helps, I’m eager to help with this!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.