Anyone applying to Medicine in Ireland? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jm562
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
^ Do you know if they interview UK applicants? or is that only for International students?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jm562)
^ Do you know if they interview UK applicants? or is that only for International students?
Probably as these courses are oversubscribed and there is a lot more to being a medical student which they can't assess through a written application. The websites will have more info.
aspiringscorpio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't really know how it is for uk applicants however for us (irish) applicants there are no interviews. you do the hpat and the leaving cert and combine the points you receive in order to see if you made the cut offs. basically it's just about the amount of points you have, this might also be the case for uk applicants. best to call/email them or just check the website although that can get quite confusing sometimes so I recommend emailing them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jm562
(Original post by aspiringscorpio)
I don't really know how it is for uk applicants however for us (irish) applicants there are no interviews. you do the hpat and the leaving cert and combine the points you receive in order to see if you made the cut offs. basically it's just about the amount of points you have, this might also be the case for uk applicants. best to call/email them or just check the website although that can get quite confusing sometimes so I recommend emailing them.
Thank you! Are you applying to medicine?
aspiringscorpio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jm562)
Thank you! Are you applying to medicine?
Yes for 2019 entry and you're welcome!
Jm562
Yes for 2019 entry and you're welcome!
Same! Im taking a gap year this year. Do you think the changes in points from 2017 would cause higher cut-offs?
aspiringscorpio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah unfortunately the cutoffs were higher this year by 4 points in all institutions apart from trinity which was only higher by 2 points, however I don't think it will increase beyond this in the year we apply. (I may be wrong though)
(Original post by Jm562)
Same! Im taking a gap year this year. Do you think the changes in points from 2017 would cause higher cut-offs?
Jm562
Yeah unfortunately the cutoffs were higher this year by 4 points in all institutions apart from trinity which was only higher by 2 points, however I don't think it will increase beyond this in the year we apply. (I may be wrong though)
Hopefully it wont go as far up as 740. I havent actually visited any of the med schools yet. Do people generally consider trinity being the best one?
aspiringscorpio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Parents - yes
Students - not really, a lot of students actually prefer UCD
Jm562
Parents - yes
Students - not really, a lot of students actually prefer UCD
What about Galway,RCSI or cork?
aspiringscorpio
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NUIG,UCC and RCSI are not generally considered 'the best' but they're still good institutions in my opinion
(Original post by Jm562)
What about Galway,RCSI or cork?
carraiga
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
same actually
And yes as he said above there are no interviews for anyone and only hpat and grades count

(I actually do A levels)
Jm562
(Original post by carraiga)
same actually
And yes as he said above there are no interviews for anyone and only hpat and grades count

(I actually do A levels)
Oh good! One less thing to worry about. Im really nervous about answering those ethical questions under pressure. Are you applying for 2019 entry?
Khalifa Ali
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello All!
I am applying for 2019 Entry and was wondering what I would have to get in the hpat if i have A*AA achieved and A* Predicted?
baldmoe
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone!
Has anyone had your interview already? My UCC interview is tomorrow and I still have no clue to how the interview will be like.. Is it panel or MMI? I'm an international student in Singapore.

Thanks!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed