Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!!

I'm thinking of applying to spend next summer in America, but I'm not entirely sure what company I should apply to? I'm currently between WildPaks, Camp Leaders, and BUNAC. Have heard good and bad things about them all so not sure? Some people have told me to apply to the camps themselves as you get more money, but would prefer to apply through the company as they put you in touch with potential colleagues, and pay for flights and insurance etc etc.

To be honest, I'm quite hesitant to apply. Despite it seeming like an amazing opportunity and something I would love to do, 3 months seems like a really long time, especially if I don't like the camp or struggle to make friends or whatever.

Was therefore wondering if folk could recommend companies to apply to, and if possible, share any experiences, good or bad, to help convince me one way or another.

Cheers!!!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I work for Camp America and have gone to camps for 5 summers myself. The most important thing to note is that 3 months will absolutely fly by because you'll be so busy having the time of your life! The majority of our camps are 9 weeks long, and you don't have to travel afterwards if you didn't want to be away for that long. Around 95% of the camps we work with will all hire other internationals so you'll never be alone, and everyone is looking to make new friends! My camp friends are now my closest friends because we went through the amazing experience of camp together, and because of camp I have friends from all over the world! We pride ourselves on offering top customer service to all of our participants, which means you'll be supported from beginning to end. We also have a US office which is open 24/7 in the summer so if you have any issues at all we'll always be there to help you! We also come to the Embassy when you're getting your visa and provide you with a step by step guide as to how to apply for it. We also provide transport to camp alongside a stay in an arrivals hotel, so you'll never be by yourself through any of the experience! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be more than happy to help you out! Thanks - Sophie

(Original post by JaneyB450)
    Hi there!!

I'm thinking of applying to spend next summer in America, but I'm not entirely sure what company I should apply to? I'm currently between WildPaks, Camp Leaders, and BUNAC. Have heard good and bad things about them all so not sure? Some people have told me to apply to the camps themselves as you get more money, but would prefer to apply through the company as they put you in touch with potential colleagues, and pay for flights and insurance etc etc.

To be honest, I'm quite hesitant to apply. Despite it seeming like an amazing opportunity and something I would love to do, 3 months seems like a really long time, especially if I don't like the camp or struggle to make friends or whatever.

Was therefore wondering if folk could recommend companies to apply to, and if possible, share any experiences, good or bad, to help convince me one way or another.

Cheers!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.