Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and doing a retail course + work experience at a college...but i haven't got a remote interest in the retail course but i do like the work experience aspect (i work in a IT/Computer repair store twice a week) and i want to become a computer technician in the future.

I've got an interview for a full time job as a butcher in a supermarket (first job). I plan to do an IT apprenticeship next year when i'm 18.

If i were to get the job, should i quit college (means quitting the work experience too) and start working in the supermarket?

I know it wont get me an IT job, but its better getting an actual wage instead of unpaid work? Its experience atleast and more money..

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I actually take an IT course and know how the field works. Last year I had a friend who takes same course thinking about doing the same thing. I’m just going to give you the advice I gave him, the bet thing to do is finish your study’s ( I’m guessing it’s alevels ) as it makes you a better candidate in comparison to someone who’s only got GCSEs.

Never forget you are in a time where there is a constant development in Technology which means, you need to learn as much as you can especially going into a future where you will be surrounded by technology.

If your serious about working you will definitely find a better job than a supermarket, I have another friend ( yes I have more friends) who takes the IT course and works part time at Currys plus he’s 18.

As you said it doesn’t hurt getting Expirence but in my opinion get the experience while finishing your studies, it just shows that you are able to handle the work load. Making you a stronger/perfect candidate.

Really hope this helps if you have any thoughts just let me know, happy to continue this topic
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.