Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is cracking my back bad? Watch

Hi, I'm 16 and I'm 6foot4 (193cm). Until about 2 years ago I always used to walk hunched because I was self conscious about my height in public. This made it super uncomfortable to stand up very straight. Obviously I'm still growing, and my bones are relatively soft so I had plenty of room to change my posture.

So I started cracking the lumbar curvature of my back for about a year. I basically put my arms behind me against my back (almost like I'm crossing my arms on my back) and I just press them forward quickly to crack. Sometimes I do it against the top of a chair or against a wall.

I recently moved to cracking my thoracic curvature and it also feels good. This isn't affecting the natural and proper curvature of my spine and When I stand upright in a mirror I have a perfect posture. So as my question above says, is cracking your back casually for comfort and relief, as well as to maintain posture, healthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I'm 16 and I'm 6foot4 (193cm). Until about 2 years ago I always used to walk hunched because I was self conscious about my height in public. This made it super uncomfortable to stand up very straight. Obviously I'm still growing, and my bones are relatively soft so I had plenty of room to change my posture.

So I started cracking the lumbar curvature of my back for about a year. I basically put my arms behind me against my back (almost like I'm crossing my arms on my back) and I just press them forward quickly to crack. Sometimes I do it against the top of a chair or against a wall.

I recently moved to cracking my thoracic curvature and it also feels good. This isn't affecting the natural and proper curvature of my spine and When I stand upright in a mirror I have a perfect posture. So as my question above says, is cracking your back casually for comfort and relief, as well as to maintain posture, healthy?
    Its okay as it is only bubbles of gas popping thats makes the sound and you are realigning your back. However if is starts to hurt tou should stop.

(Original post by Yip9090)
    Its okay as it is only bubbles of gas popping thats makes the sound and you are realigning your back. However if is starts to hurt tou should stop.
    It's never hurt me, no matter how far up my back I crack. The only pain / discomfort I get is when I'm walking around hunched, which is probably a good thing as I don't want to end up with that posture. Thanks for the information.

ReputationRep:
    Well if bones are anything alike I know that when you crack your fingers the saying don’t do that you’ll get arthritis isn’t true but it does thicken your bones in your fingers so when your older you’ll have thick boney finger Not sure if the same applies to your back tho
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.